Why are so many LBS like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
One of the LBS that I just started to use 69 cycles in Chester are great, very friendly and chatty, went in last weekend for a new rear cassette, but when I got it home realised he had given me a 10 speed instead of the 9 speed that I was after, not much of a drama as I wasn't going out on my bike that day, went back the day after and as he didn't have the tiagra he give me the next model up with no extra cost and apologised. Truth be told as he is a good guy I would of paid the extra few quid if needed. Tiagra cost £29.99 and the HG80 which I got off him would of been £59.99, both only a couple of quid more than they would of cost from wiggle but without the wait and without the personal service.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a choice of local bike shops. I like the family run one a couple of miles up the road. The guys are all cyclists, mum works in the shop. The grandson is a junior national TT champ. They always spend time explaining tech stuff to you if you ask a question. They are happy to give a discount if you are buying a bit off them. They are not as cheap as the internet but I don't mind paying a bit more for both the convenience of getting the part straight away as well as the expert knowledge that comes with it.

Lee_M

Guru
My lbs sold me my new carbon toy, and spent hours and weeks helping and answering all my emails.

I went to pick it up yesterday and their whole computer system was down, so they let me walk out of the shop with it, without paying

Let me say that again, I walked out with a £3000 bike with their blessing and just a promise to call them today ( I did of course)

They will be getting All my future business

compo

Veteran
I recently found we have a very good little LBS just a 10 minute walk from me. I knew they sold bikes but never paid them much attention because they are a car parts shop who also do bikes. The other week I was having problems with my headset that I was unsure about, mentioned it on our club's Facebook and up he popped with a PM inviting me to take the bike in. I did and he sorted it out in minutes at no charge. I have since learned that he is well regarded by lots of local cyclists.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I now sort as much as I can myself but for those things I can't, I can find no fault with my LBS. He's just spent ages trying to find that "weird noise my back wheel is making" for £2.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well I'm new to all of this so I made my first visit to the LBS on Saturday. The young lad I spoke to was friendly and helpful, I was a little disappointed he wasn't as clued up as I would have liked... But I'm a sucker for detail so have done extensive research over the last few weeks!

I REALLY want to buy a bike from my LBS, as it would be nice to have the personal touch for once, which you don't get from purchasing online.

I live in the centre of my town so I have two LBS within a 5min walk of my house, I'm going to check out the second one tomorrow morning... And go back to the first one to see if any new 2013 bikes have come in !

Peteaud

Veteran
My L:BS is a guy who just repairs bike and sell a few bits, he is very good.

The other one i use is fantastic, and he will match any internet price if he can.

Ive had fantastic service from both.

a 3rd (small chain) is also very good.

The other one is utter money grabbing ********

There are some out there who are good.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There are some out there who are good.

Absolutely - and in no way do I want to tar them all with the same brush. I found the Edinburgh Bike Co-Op to be superb (although more of a small chain tbh) and the guys along at Flying Fox were friendly and chatty, but it just seems that there are quite a few LBS that haven't quite bought into the idea of customer service.

I imagine it's a similar situation for biking newbies going into the LBS as it used to be for women going into garages.

Top Bottom