Why are so many LBS like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
My independent LBS wouldn't order a Tricross in for me in the size I needed so I could try it. Even though they do stock Tricrosses, they just didn't have my size. They said I'd have to buy it and then they'd order it. I pointed out I might not like the fit/feel of it and the owner told me I had to make a decision which bike I wanted without riding it and seemed to think it was odd that I wasn't prepared to do that.

Evans ordered it in for me no problem. If the LBS had done this I'd have bought it from them even though it was cheaper online. As it is I won't set foot in the place again, so they've also missed out on a few hundred £ worth of accessory sales.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I try to buy everything from my LBS (Steel's in Newcastle). They're great. Friendly service, often from a bona fide olympic cyclist! My bikes are from chain retailers, but I'm planning to get my first 'expensive' road bike next spring, and I know where I'll be going.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Luckily I have several lbs's close by. The nearest is about 200 yards away but he ain't the best. My favourite is about a mike and half away but it's well worth the journey as they are friendly accommodating, and often do minor fixes for free. As with all decent bike shops they are very knowledgeable too.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got a few:

- The one in Dewsbury has lots of stock but doesn't seem very interested when you go in
- Halfords in Dewsbury. LBS? Maybe not.
- One in Ossett I've just found. Going there tomorrow.
- One I've been using a few miles away in Horbury, but he's mostly an eBay seller now
- Another I've tried in Mirfield. May go back there.

And a search has thrown up a few more less than 10 miles away that I'll have a look at.

Albert

Über Member
I have 3 Shops between 12 and 40 miles from my home or so miles. I try to support all three but reserve my everyday custom for the always friendly, always ready for a chat and always obliging if I have a problem and never pushy - Clive Powell of Rhayader in Powys. Having decent local shops are in our interests as internet shops, which I also use, simply cannot give advice and "suck it and see" service. Price does not always equate to value.

Drago

Legendary Member
Roy Pink Cycles in Newport Pagnell. Big modern showroom, but run by a family team. Fantastic in every regard.

Roy himself is a nice bloke and always up for a chat. He has a history of wacky antics involving bikes, like gaffa taping a bike to a canoe and cycling it along the entire length of the river Ouse for charity. I went to school with his eldest son, and can remember how he used to ride a unicycle to school every day...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I used to go to my nearest lbs a lot, bought a bike from him, have a chat, a few "how do I do that, sell me the part, I want to try myself".
Since I started reading the tips on here I haven't needed to visit him :sad:

Well... If there was a list from the insurer, why not take it with you when shopping?

If we all buy everything from the Internet, one day there will be few (or no) LBSs. That will not be a great day.

I buy small stuff from my LBS and on most bigger stuff I ask how close he can get to Wiggle or similar.

On tyres and lubes, he isn't close. I get them online.

When I have a tricky problem or a specific question... or need a part for an ancient bike... he is there. The Internet is not as obliging.

The Internet can't say "Bring it in and I'll see which one you need".

All retailers will pee us off sometimes, just as all spouses and children will.... But we need them.

You don't get much more accurate than this...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I try to buy everything from my LBS (Steel's in Newcastle). They're great. Friendly service, often from a bona fide olympic cyclist! My bikes are from chain retailers, but I'm planning to get my first 'expensive' road bike next spring, and I know where I'll be going.

I used to buy bits from Mike Steel himself when I lived in Gosforth in the seventies. At that time it was just a tiny shop somewhere near Gosforth station if I recall - Station Road? Mike probably had me down as a stupid annoying teenager but he was always patient and helpful with my odd requests and projects.

Octet

Veteran
I don't mind going to an LBS, and nor do I mind paying a bit extra for the products because it is understandable that they will be more expensive.
The problem is, £20 more then online isn't because of profit margins... that is just excessive and dare I say greed, and when you don't get a friendly service with it then you are simply put off by it.

Lee_M

Guru
I don't mind going to an LBS, and nor do I mind paying a bit extra for the products because it is understandable that they will be more expensive.
The problem is, £20 more then online isn't because of profit margins... that is just excessive and dare I say greed, and when you don't get a friendly service with it then you are simply put off by it.

No it's probably the fact that they have to pay retail space rental costs which are higher than wholesale storage, and they can't buy in bulk so have to pay the suppliers more in the first place

I guess you've never worked in retail?

It's not just bike shops that are like this. I am staggered by the number of small businesses that really struggle with the kind of service they need to give the market if they are to survive. Many large concerns are no better: I was in Sports Direct (sorry about it, please accept my apology), shopping for trainers, when I spotted a pair I liked. I asked the assistant whether they had them in a 47. He returned after a while to tell me that they had them only in a 43. Did he honestly expect me to say, "You know what, I have another pair of feet at home and fortunately they are a size 43, so I will take them." He ought to have brought out a similar style saying, "Sorry we don't have those in a 47, but we do have these and they're very similar." Retail is hardly rocket science, so why do so many people get it wrong?

Peteaud

Veteran
No it's probably the fact that they have to pay retail space rental costs which are higher than wholesale storage, and they can't buy in bulk so have to pay the suppliers more in the first place

Very true.

Also take into account postage costs ( i am amazed at the amount of people who dont add on the
£6.96 postage) and the fact thats if its delivered by yodel you wont see the item for 2 weeks, if at all.

Pay a few quid more and have it there and then.

For clothing its even better to buy local, you can try it on.

There are many small bike shops who augment their high street stores with a web presence, and a lot have really competitive prices. I find them comparable with the Chain Reactions and Wiggles of this world. They are not buying in huge quantities and they have the expense of shops with all the attendant overheads, but they seem to manage to pull it off. How do they do it, when the rest moan that charging top dollar is the only way they can survive?

Chris-H

Über Member
Being fairly new ish to cycling i occasionally need the advice of my Lbs.I have 3 + Halfords to choose from.Halfords in Bedford does'nt really have any knowledgeable staff on the bike counter,2 of the lbs's cater for the expensive side of cycling but are helpfull and the other one is part of a chain which sells the cheaper quality stuff.The cheaper one,who does'nt sell clothing,has some friendly staff but their mechanic is arrogant,one lad just does'nt have a clue and the managerPaul is a real nice bloke who knows he's stuff.So different shopping experiences for the cyclist there.
What might be a good idea and very helpfull for all members would maybe be a Board in the forum for recomended Lbs's.That way new members can search the board for an lbs in their area and can go shopping confidently in the knowledge that their newly found lbs has been recomended on here? Good idea or not? Shop name(obviously),price range of stock (cheap,middle of the road,top end)comments and address would be ideal info.
We're going to Rutland cycling at Grafham water next week as never been there before but unsure of what to expect,any experiences?

Top Bottom