Why are so many other cyclists so unfriendly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

Yes, Mr. Slowmotion, I guess I'm welcome not!

OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

Good, I'm pleased, I would understand London could be harder with more people, so that's fab, but out in the sticks, you don't have to say it often, but it cheers up a quiet country lane, when it's raining and quiet.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I always say good morning or give a nod. Almost everyone responds. Those that don't might be shy, focused on their ride or simply have other things on their mind. As ianrauk says, it's no big deal.

OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

Oh well, personally, I feel if I can sit and talk on a computer, then I will also say, "hello," on the street, but if people don't want to politely acknowledge, then that's their call I guess. I will keep smiling, though :bicycle:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Most of my cycling is done on the outskirts of London, mainly essex, the commuters in london are a miserable bunch, but then i do commutte on an old beat up mtb, it does seem to depend on what you ride, there is a lot of snobbery around, on my ride today with the other half i think she got more nods and winks than me, but she does look good in lycra.^_^

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I always give some kind of greeting. If they don't respond, I say 'nob' to myself (not 'at' myself, you understand). I'm tempted to sometimes turn round, chase them down, push them off, pin them to the ground and shout "hell-bleeding-o", with spittle spraying from my foaming mouth. One of these days a good rain's gonna fall (cycles off into the night, muttering).

al78

Guru
Well I'm going to say,"hello," to everyone I pass from now on, 'cos I'm a friendly lass.

Ooh, can you cycle around the Ewhurst to Horsham area please. I'd love to have a nice friendly lady say hello to me when I am slogging my way to work :thumbsup:.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Oh well, personally, I feel if I can sit and talk on a computer, then I will also say, "hello," on the street, but if people don't want to politely acknowledge, then that's their call I guess. I will keep smiling, though :bicycle:
I will smile to a woman on a bike (or not!) if she makes eye contact, but I'm not going to grin at any random guy I encounter on my commute :wacko: Actually, the only time I found myself doing just that, was on seeing a 50 something, suited, quite imposing in stature, distinguished look guy, riding a little folding bike :laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I will smile to a woman on a bike (or not!) if she makes eye contact :laugh:
I tend to dribble, and ask them if they'd like to fettle my bottom bracket. :smile:

[edit: for some reason, experimentation shows me, if you do it with a Yorkshire accent, you're far more likely to get arrested]

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I tend to dribble, and ask them if they'd like to fettle my bottom bracket. :smile:
You wouldn't have visited Glasgow a couple of weeks ago, by chance? Met a kinda dribbler on my way home, thank my luck he was knackered, pushing his bike, I left him behind in Glasgow Green, puffing and lurking :ph34r:

Edit: Sellyb, stop smiling at strangers :stop:

Top Bottom