Why are so many other cyclists so unfriendly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No, but I do requests :smile:
Don't bother, we got plenty of dribblers of our own, the competition would floor you :laugh:
On the other hand, a nice offer to service a lady's BIKE bottom bracket, made in a gentleman kind of way, without inflicting your lycra on the lady in question, would get you a smile anyplace :thumbsup:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Don't bother, we got plenty of dribblers of our own, the competition would floor you :laugh:
On the other hand, a nice offer to service a lady's BIKE bottom bracket, made in a gentleman kind of way, without inflicting your lycra on the lady in question, would get you a smile anyplace :thumbsup:
How about if I were to offer to "clean her mudguards", or perchance "let her use my pump" ? :smile:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I ride in Sussex lanes all the time and for the most part riders either wave or nod a simple hello. I always do. I hav ebeen ignored a few times but mostly that is by MTBrs.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Maybe it's a sussex thing!! How embarrassing for sussex, come on sussex, start smiling!
As much as id love to, i cant smile while out exercising. Ive tried but the pained expression turns it into some kind of meniacal grimace, so i have to settle for a grunted "hi" as not to scare people. :crazy:

I rarely say hello to other riders, not much point as I won't be able to here their reply over the music blaring in my ears.

Most of my rides are either training, race prep or at least some sort of planned ride. I'm watching heart rate, cadence, power, speed and during intervals the stop-watch. I would love to have more free time to take the odd 'social' ride. Oh and I do consider that all fun.

I do though, as often as possible, give a wee nod.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's really not worth getting upset about.

I don't fret about the other drivers not acknowledging my presence when I am driving my car.

Motor cyclists don't acknowledge each other anywhere near as often as they used to.

It's not an unfriendly thing to ignore other kindred spirits. Just get on and enjoy the scenery.

dodgy

I don't always say hi, sometimes I don't even acknowledge the other rider's existence. Some days I might be feeling super social and ride with a stranger for a few miles and pass the time of day.

Some riders are new, they're basking in the golden glow of a new love discovered (cycling). Some of us have been doing this for 30 years or much more, we're not in the honeymoon phase anymore, but we love cycling and that's why after all these years we're still doing it. To some of us, cycling isn't unusual, it isn't even an activity, no more than walking to the shops is an activity anyway. So it doesn't seem unusual to see someone else on a bike, that's why we sometimes don't acknowledge you. There are other reasons we sometimes don't acknowledge, some days we might be on the tail end of a hilly 150 mile ride in the wet (it might have been raining 75 miles away that you never saw), we're on our way home tired, bedraggled and dreaming of cake, waving hello is not on the top of our agenda.

I'd say that for the most part, you'll get a nod or a wink from me, might even raise my fingers from the bars with a half hearted wave.

Sorry.

OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

I'm no way new to cycling, but for years it has been an enjoyable hobby, rather than a competition with myself, and out in the country, as there are not as many of us, I would just kind of expect a, "hello," but I understand it is becoming more competitive now, so I guess that's the way of it, thanks for explaining.
So, going back to a previous post, is it OK to play music in your ears? I would always worry about not hearing a car fast approaching. I was always told "no walkmans on bikes" as a kid. :bicycle:As an after thought, though, I bet people would have said,"hello" before cycling computers were invented, and when the roads were in a better state, as there would have been nowhere else to look but up.

jud

Once again I agree with Noodley - I generally see about 50 to 100 cyclists on my outings and I rarely do not get an acknowledgement - always friendly.

Many stay with me and chat along the way including groups of club cyclists. This happened yesterday and I was dragged by a group for the last 10 miles of my trip.

its a Northern thing. I did used to run down canal banks amongst the fishermen with the running club and made a point of saying hello. if they did not respond (visitors from the South)we just stopped and repeated our greeting - they always said hello then.

Make a point if somebody does not say hello to go after them and repeat the greeting. good exercise as well.

or as was suggested just move on and ignore them as they are not real cyclists anyway and you are.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..it's 'ok' in so much as it's a safty decision we all take or don't...I chose to live. Isn't Sayers Common pretty quiet and laid back though? Less cars maybe?...even so..no ipod for me..even if there were no cars I'd be more into what is happening around me. If I rode with an ipod along the A259 I doubt I'd make it back though :laugh:

Top Bottom