Why are so many other cyclists so unfriendly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hello Selly, I used to get irked by people on bikes ignoring me when out on my bike, but someone once told me that they get fed up constantly waving and shouting hello because they pass so many people- but then he was introverted and shy... depends on the person so I keep being friendly and if the other person doesn't respond, I just shrug it off. I'd say hello to walkers out in the hills but don't say hello to everyone I meet on the streets in Newcastle. Keep being friendly- makes the world a happier place.

redcard

Veteran
Once again I agree with Noodley - I generally see about 50 to 100 cyclists on my outings and I rarely do not get an acknowledgement - always friendly.

Many stay with me and chat along the way including groups of club cyclists. This happened yesterday and I was dragged by a group for the last 10 miles of my trip.

its a Northern thing. I did used to run down canal banks amongst the fishermen with the running club and made a point of saying hello. if they did not respond (visitors from the South)we just stopped and repeated our greeting - they always said hello then.

Make a point if somebody does not say hello to go after them and repeat the greeting. good exercise as well.

or as was suggested just move on and ignore them as they are not real cyclists anyway and you are.

Bizarre that you would go after someone that would not reciprocate your greeting.

colly

Re member eR
the farmers tractor filling my nostrils :laugh:

That is one BIG nose you have.:eek:

I say hello and or smile to all and sundry. ^_^ People on bikes, walkers, horse riders, even car drivers at times. It costs nothing, might just spread a little friendliness/community spirit, If I don't get a response then I just assume they didn't see me or are either:

a) Miserable curmudgeons.
b) Wrapped up in the everyday cares which should be left behind when out enjoying a ride.
c) Blind and or deaf.
d) Miserable curmudgeons AND ignorant pigs.
e) All of the above

Their loss. I pity them.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
If you pass the time of day with someone and they can't be arsed responding (assuming they actually hear you), it's just simple bad manners and I certainly wouldn't waste time worrying about it. I say 'morning' to most people I pass on the commute. People coming the other direction I usually just nod and 9/10 get the same back.

D

Deleted member 1258

I normally wave or say hello to passing cyclists, yesterday coming back from Kineton I'm riding through Long Itchington and spot a rider coming the other way, I say hello then realize its a clubmate from when I was riding with the the Cov Road Club Veterans group regularly, so stopped turned round and we stopped at the roadside gossiping like a couple of old women for ten minutes. ^_^ Other cyclists are rare on my commute but more common on a Sunday ride, I usually wave or say hello but I'm not bothered if I get no response.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think it is just the changes in society. When I first moved to our village 24 years ago a walk up the street would mean a good chat with a few people and certainly a hello from a lot more, now people seldom acknowledge you.

I blame it on the hoodie as they have to look down to see where they are going^_^

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
One thing I will always do is stop and ask a cyclist who has parked up if they are ok...it's only polite as we are on the same side...anyway others have done the same for me on occassion...one guy even gave me his spare inner tube to get me home!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
You guys are lucky.You at least got other bikers on the road.For me it's nothing but buses,SUV's and cows(think a coupleof "moooooos"='hi there":biggrin:)
I can imagine riding in India to be a bit "interesting" from the way cars and lorries seem to attack each other......or is that just a UK t.v. myth ??? Cows in the road would be fun though !

Nihal

Veteran
I can imagine riding in India to be a bit "interesting" from the way cars and lorries seem to attack each other......or is that just a UK t.v. myth ??? Cows in the road would be fun though !
You have no idea what else you find on the roads:laugh:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
it always amazes me as well that when out by my self or on tandem , loads of cyclist and or walkers totally ignore us , i always give a nod or say hello

OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

I completely understand the point about saying,"hello," in the Big Cheese, but out in the country, where there are so few of us, to me it's courtesy.
I also agree with the post above from alecstilleyedye, if the elite athletes are saying, "hello" to the rest of us, then there really is no excuse. It makes me wonder what opinion the general public may be forming of the 'serious'' cyclists who sail past without an acknowledgement. (I'm only speaking for rural areas now, you understand, I do understand the commute/city thing).
I also wonder if the invention of these computers is safe on todays busy roads, as it may mean decisions are made in haste. I do confess I have one, but it proved dangerous the other week, when I was trying to beat a previous time, came round a bend to find two horses coming the other way (I am a horseowner myself), and lost control of my back wheel when putting on the anchors in the rain. I wasn't even going that fast, but I was neverthesless competing with myself in my subconscious.Luckily I recovered it, but I worry that technology may be making us a little too reckless when trying to be competitive! I will not be going at any reasonable speed down hills around blind bends in the future, that much is definite! Also, life itself is a race these days, so I'm not sure if I like the fact that I've invested in a computer, and now my hobby has become a race too! It is addictive, though.

dodgy

I also agree with the post above from alecstilleyedye, if the elite athletes are saying, "hello" to the rest of us, then there really is no excuse.

There are also cases on other forums of people moaning about the Elites in and around Manchester not acknowledging. There's even a case where a rider came up behind Cavendish at a set of lights and Cav point blank said "not in the mood mate, wanna be on my own" or words to that effect.

So that's a load of crap (saying we should be just like our 'heroes' whatever that means).

Just accept it, sometimes I'll say hello, sometimes not. Who really cares about this stuff :rolleyes:

Top Bottom