Why are so many other cyclists so unfriendly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Yes, like you, I like being aware of the noises around me, really nice in the countryside. Cycling to the rhythm of the bird song!

ah..yes..the birdsong in my ears and the farmers tractor filling my nostrils :laugh:

toroddf

I tries to say hello and mostly succeed. But I respect those who cannot take the hands of their handlebars due to safety concerns. Sometimes me too is too occupied with the road ahead to waive or say hello. Safety comes first.

I also offers guidance to those cyclists whose faces has "I am lost" written all over them. I picked up a group of cyclists one month ago who was genuine lost and told them to follow in my wake. Which they did.

I always makes a point of saying thank you to the dog owners who tries to control their dogs when I pass them. That also goes for those moving out of the way. This though is applicable on the excellent cycle paths to Kilbirnie and Kilmacolm.

I don't think cyclists in my area are unfriendly. But I am living in Scotland, the friendly part of the British Isles.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think there's a certain amount of snobbery with 'hello's' from cyclists... being one of those who doesn't wear 'gear', I guess the self proclaimed 'more serious' cyclists think "Is that another cyclist or just a townie on a bike"..."No helmet, no lycra, no hi-vis vest"..."No wave from me 'cos they're just a townie on a bike"

I passed so many cyclists yesterday and not a single one said hello to me. Maybe if I wore 'the uniform' things may be different.

dodgy

if they did not respond (visitors from the South)we just stopped and repeated our greeting - they always said hello then.

Slightly passive aggressive imo. Who are you to enforce your expectations on others? The fisherman may have all kinds of things going on in his life, perhaps he wants a bit of peace?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I think there's a certain amount of snobbery with 'hello's' from cyclists... being one of those who doesn't wear 'gear', I guess the self proclaimed 'more serious' cyclists think "Is that another cyclist or just a townie on a bike"..."No helmet, no lycra, no hi-vis vest"..."No wave from me 'cos they're just a townie on a bike"

I passed so many cyclists yesterday and not a single one said hello to me. Maybe if I wore 'the uniform' things may be different.
I get that sometimes when i'm wearing baggy shorts,fleece,hiking trainers ( i like a walk somethimes when i arrive and dont like to look like a duck walking on ice ! ) and shock horror NO HELMET !
I say hello to everyone on two wheels and also thank the good motorists for good measure

snorri

Legendary Member
I found it quite amusing when cycle touring in mainland Europe, particularly on riverside cycle tracks where there are a LOT of cyclists, very few acknowledge each others presence except.....the guys and girls with 4 panniers who seem to see me approach from a mile away^_^.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
any cyclist who deems themselves 'too serious' to return a wave might like to bear in mind that down my way we regularly see the likes of cavendish, stannard, pendleton et al out training. they all wave/nod at us mere club cyclists despite themselves training for elite events, and being cycling royalty. so if they can do it, there's no excuse for the rest of us…

caimg

Über Member
Make a point if somebody does not say hello to go after them and repeat the greeting. good exercise as well.

This is a joke...right?

I'm a London cyclist and a nice, friendly guy. However, I agree with the posts that say it's no big deal. We don't say hey to peds when we're also peds and pretty much all the time we're all in a head-state of our own little world and being mega alert for what's happening on the road. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with rudeness or courtesy.

Another point to go with the 'peds don't acknowledge other peds' is that peds are plentiful in pretty much every city. London is FULL of cyclists these days, so maybe it just seems like a normal thing to just carry on as normal here...there's a falling mentality of 'OMGZ A CYCLIST!!!111 I should say hello!'

Top Bottom