Why are so many people on here so negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that a fight or a kiss?
On the other hand, some people on here treat newbies and regulars with absolute reckless disregard. A newbie asks a question and a stranger on a public forum answers the question with apparent authority, but refuses to back up the answer with a logical chain of events, argument or demonstration when questioned.

Such answers call for correction and explanation or at the very least, scrutiny. If the person in question then feels a fool or that he/she has been treated negatively, well so be it. Rather that than poor advice. Remember, this forum is an archive as well. "Advice" lives on and frequently becomes part of the lore of cycling that's hard to shake. It perpetuates ignorance. Anything posted as advice in the Mechanical section should stand up to scrutiny. If you can't tolerate being asked for an explanation or further questioning, rather not post your advice.

Further, some newbies register on here and immediately pose a pressing question but not have the courtesy to even attempt some form of punctuation or composition of the text. I'm not talking about foreign-language issues here. Whilst we all tolerate the odd typo, this is a live medium after all, it doesn't mean we should have to endure sloppy questions, poor phrasing and general disregard for the value of the favour you're asking for.
Yes M'Lud

That's very kind of you.

Hmmm, I get it, man disappears up his own peanut.

[QUOTE 4728974, member: 259"]Welcome to Cycle hat you daffodil!:smile:

We all get used to it.[/QUOTE]
Been here a good while. Just pondering why social media is full off sad opinionated people Cyle Chat included. This place is not as bad as footy sites mind you

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Further, some newbies register on here and immediately pose a pressing question but do not have the courtesy to even attempt some form of punctuation or composition of the text. I'm not talking about foreign-language issues here. Whilst we all tolerate the odd typo, this is a live medium after all, it doesn't mean we should have to endure sloppy questions, poor phrasing and general disregard for the value of the favour you're asking for.
I disagree - with all respect due to your bike mechanical genius, of course.
If I can understand the questions, English being my third language, so can you all.
The bike mechanics forum is my favorite, I feel that nitpicking about misspelling and grammar is uncalled for, not everybody is good with words.
If you were analyzing a post in the touring reports, fair enough.
Of course pictures always help, but new members cannot upload before a certain amount of posts, so there's that to consider.

I disagree - with all respect due to your bike mechanical genius, of course.
If I can understand the questions, English being my third language, so can you all.
The bike mechanics forum is my favorite, I feel that nitpicking about misspelling and grammar is uncalled for, not everybody is good with words.
If you were analyzing a post in the touring reports, fair enough.
Of course pictures always help, but new members cannot upload before a certain amount of posts, so there's that to consider.

I accept your last point. I had first-hand experience of that just a few days ago.

When challenged, you will of course deny that your jibe was aimed any anyone in particular. You've left the door open. But what you have made clear is that your debating skills are not up to scratch. You pose a question, don't illustrate it when asked to, and then punch with an insult.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
When challenged, you will of course deny that your jibe was aimed any anyone in particular. You've left the door open. But what you have made clear is that your debating skills are not up to scratch. You pose a question, don't illustrate it when asked to, and then punch with an insult.
I asked a question, i got my answers. Or do you not see that?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I asked a question, i got my answers. Or do you not see that?

Just get a room.

U

User32269

I've spent years messing about with bikes. Often, due to a limited budget, resorting to "ghetto" style bodges. I assess the risks and make my own decisions on safety. I would never advise anybody on a public forum to do half the things I have; if I did, I would expect to be challenged strongly.
If a newcomer to cycling comes onto the forum and asks a question, most people here would be courteous and try to be helpful. Short forum postings can appear a bit brusque, but you can spot somebody attempting to gain info, in order to offer a comprehensive answer, from some snide smart arse trying to belittle the OP.
People's posting history lays it out for anybody to make their own judgement.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
By and large, I think people on here are pretty polite. Things can get a bit lively in SC&P but as an arcane ritual, it can be quite amusing.
wagah.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom