Why are UK cyclists fixated on helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 2980869, member: 45"]UK cyclists aren't fixated on helmets, you lot are.[/QUOTE]
it has been a while since we've had a helmet debate though.

I'm often asked when the subject of cycling is brought up "Do you wear a helmet?". I'd prefer to be asked "Where do you cycle too?", "what kind of bike have you got?", "Do you wear lycra or are you 'normal'?", but the helmet question does come up first and foremost quite often.

When in the states a couple of years ago, my cousin mentioned that she doesn't ride her bike any more because "we're supposed to wear a helmet these days" so I guess it's not just a UK thing.

Helmets, there is no argument, I mean, everyone should have one

IMG_3909.JPG

Sorry if you've seen it before but then again, I've read all this before so who gives a shoot. Why isn't this in the 'stupid section that I ignore' part of the forum.

And by the way: I've told him if he goes over 12mph it's not going to save him but does he listen....

Wobblers

Euthermic
If I may use this opportunity to spoil this spiffing thread with SCIENCE...

I've noticed there's been quite a few people who've said "My helmet cracked, so it must have saved me". That's unlikely to be true. A material can absorb impact energy in two ways. It can bend in a ductile fashion, as metals do. That's how a car's crumple zone functions - there's a lot of metal that bends and deforms in a collision. Or it can crack. A crack absorbs energy because it creates a new surface area - and surfaces always energy associated with them. Think of the surface tension of water, and how surface tension maintains a soap bubble. Helmets are made from expanded polystyrene, a brittle material that cracks in impact. You want it form many small cracks which create many new surfaces - that'll absorb the most energy. If it has visibly cracked, then it has failed - as that crack will have absorbed very little energy... leaving the majority to be transferred straight to your head...

There is remarkably little evidence to support the idea that helmets provide a meaningful protective role: the very best studies we have show no benefit at all. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data". If you want, I can demonstrate how not wearing a helmet saved my life - I've even got the actual maths to prove it... :whistle:

Wobblers

Euthermic
Did you read the link I posted back up there?

No.

I just can't take you elves seriously. Shouldn't you be fighting balrogs or something?

Top Bottom