Why can't manufacturers standardise frame sizes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My Scott speedster road bike is a 56 cm and fits me fine. I sat on a Canondale synapse 56 and had no spare stand over space and needed the seat post almost fully down. Also the CD felt very stretched out length ways.If I had ordered a 56 on line I would have had a nasty surprise.PS not buying new bike just yet ,just at thinking about it stage. When I do buy it will be from a shop not online anyway.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
The joys of having a bike fit :thumbsup: Seriously though nobody is a standard size one mans large is another mans medium with a longer stem etc. always best to try any bike your about to buy and also proof as to why buying online is a bit of a lottery. Lbs for me whenever possible.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
compact frame sizes are different to those of standard frames with a horizontal top tube.

my compact frame is 50cm, and my standard road frame 57cm. even allowing for the fact that the standard is a slightly bigger bike, it shows how much difference exists.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
IME Cannondale do tend to use a slightly longer top tube than others. Suits me perfectly though.
A dale may not be ideal for me then as I am of the long legs short body type. Maybe a shorter stem would make it work. I plan to sit on and ride quite a few bikes before commiting to anything. With the Scott fitting me very well I have also considered keeping the frame and upgrading wheels and components instead of a new bike.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd like to see them standardise shoe sizes first... my feet are 10.5" long, but my wide variety of footwear includes size 9, 10, 11. Logic suggests, they all should be 10.5 ... do cobblers use elastic tape measures? :wacko:

mustang1

Legendary Member
SuperSix 58cm, has horizontal tt, fits fine
Mares 58cm, has horizontal tt, fits fine
Allez 58cm (virtual horizontal size), has slanted tt, fits fine
Just sayin'

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I just measure 62 cm from bb to seatpost clamp. Have a string for that.

U

User6179

I'd like to see them standardise shoe sizes first... my feet are 10.5" long, but my wide variety of footwear includes size 9, 10, 11. Logic suggests, they all should be 10.5 ... do cobblers use elastic tape measures? :wacko:

My feet are UK 9.5 , my Shimano shoes are size 11 , if only we had some form of universal measurement , we could call it something like the Metric system and it could be used to measure things like shoes.:smile:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I'd like to see bra manufacturers standardise bra sizes.

also I'd like it if Next standardised their sizes. I have next clothes ranging from 8 to 14 in my wardrobe. FFS they are from the same shop!!!

oldroadman

Veteran
I'd like to see bra manufacturers standardise bra sizes.

also I'd like it if Next standardised their sizes. I have next clothes ranging from 8 to 14 in my wardrobe. FFS they are from the same shop!!!
The 8 is for flattery, the 14 for starvery...^_^
The men's stuff is just as "interesting".

In order to standardise a size of an item, the item should have a standard measurements. Say we can say collar size 16, it gives an indication of collar size, chest width etc. Within that you can have regular, slim fit etc. Still, it should fit a standard chest size.
As different bikes have different Geometric shapes, it is not possible to standardise it. All manufacturers provide a geometric diagram indicating the measurements of standard areas like top tube etc.
But I understand your frustration.

Top Bottom