Why can't we have government sponsored public info' films to discourage shoot driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I never trust an indicator, around these parts it could be left on from 10 miles back.
I've just been out on my bike. In the space of one hour i saw a left on left side indicator,while the driver passed 2 turn offs(imagine pulling out on a bike,thinking he was going to turn left before he reached you) and someone driving with their hazard warning lights on,for at least 300 yards that i saw. Oh,and a woman in a Chelsea tractor turned right into her drive without indicating, abruptly making 2 young girls(pedestrians on the pavement) give way to her. Obviously she thought being in such a vehicle meant that indicating her intentions to the 2 girls was beneath her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5250169, member: 10119"]Remember that you can control what you do, but not what someone else does.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes we have to take a chance. I could've been there for ages if i hadn't Plus Mr Angry motorist was behind me,revving his engine which was getting on my wick!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Are you a fan of not indicating your intentions,then?
No, it annoys the piss out of me, but I know I can't rely on other people to do it, plus, afaiaa it is not a legal requirement. I have also been both that stressed out parent making a mistake and that cheeky cyclist taking a chance and coming off worse.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I also can't find the bit in the Highway Code which mentions indicating as a legal requirement
Rule 103 of the Highway Code. While there is no specific offence for failing to indicate, it could be considered to be a contravention of the Road Traffic Act 1988, section 3 - which states "If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence."

Rule 103..........
Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see ‘Signals to other road users), of your intended actions. You should always

• give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time
  • use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
  • cancel them after use
  • make sure your signals will not confuse others. If, for instance, you want to stop after a side road, do not signal until you are passing the road. If you signal earlier it may give the impression that you intend to turn into the road. Your brake lights will warn traffic behind you that you are slowing down
  • use an arm signal to emphasise or reinforce your signal if necessary. Remember that signalling does not give you priority.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Rule 103 of the Highway Code. While there is no specific offence for failing to indicate, it could be considered to be a contravention of the Road Traffic Act 1988, section 3 - which states "If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence."

Rule 103..........
So not a definite no-no in legal terms then, but maybe a bit subjective. I do agree it's inconsiderate.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I repeat - because noone watches actual television.
A public information film is paid for by public money. Before my taxes are spent on such a thing, i would want evidence of it's efficacy.
Indeed. I suspect money would be better spent rebuilding shoot motoring-supremacist layouts to be less shoot or even updating the plethora of "guidance" on how not to build more shoot into "rules" or "legal duties" that bind highways agents.

Lonestar

Veteran
Indeed. I suspect money would be better spent rebuilding shoot motoring-supremacist layouts to be less shoot or even updating the plethora of "guidance" on how not to build more shoot into "rules" or "legal duties" that bind highways agents.

Ooooer.I do like that.

Lonestar

Veteran
fFlashing light

I know...they are fitted as standard round here but rarely used....perhaps I should have added [sarcasm]what's an indicator?[/sarcasm]

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sometimes we have to take a chance. I could've been there for ages if i hadn't Plus Mr Angry motorist was behind me,revving his engine which was getting on my wick!

Hold on there. “Sometimes we have to take a chance” said the driver after he knocked down the cyclist........

While you may well be correct regarding the decline in driving standards your opening post and this one indicate you need to consider your own driving standard.

In your OP you describe closely several warning signs the other driver might behave unexpectedly but ignored these and “took a chance.” Taking a chance in several tons of moving metal is unacceptable and dangerous to other road users.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ooooer.I do like that.
I don't ;) but it does rather accurately describe the practice of some highways designers who lay the all-vehicle lanes out first, squeeze the rest in around them and make decisions by modelling only motor vehicle throughput, rather than the widely-stated policies of a modal hierarchy of walking first, then cycling, scheduled mass transport, commercials and only then private cars.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
In your OP you describe closely several warning signs the other driver might behave unexpectedly but ignored these and “took a chance.” Taking a chance in several tons of moving metal is unacceptable and dangerous to other road users.

I know i've had some heavy bikes in my time but not that heavy!!:eek: I was on my bike when it happened,not driving my car.:okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5250933, member: 45"]We now have active forums where members can offer advice to people on how to cycle safely on the roads.[/QUOTE]

you can give all the advice in the world,but we do not have any influence on how other road users are going to act. You could be the most proficient cyclist in the world,but if some couldn't care less motorist's driving puts you in danger then you can't do anything about it,apart from taking evasive action which isn't always possible. I think you're suggesting that cyclists should up their act and learn how to deal with poor motoring standards. I think the government should tell those motorists to get their act together and drive correctly.

Top Bottom