Why Cycling Really, Really Is The New Golf...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How about converting some golf courses to cycling venues? They've got the club house, all they need to do is create a nice smooth tarmac track around their massive courses with a parallel off road track, carving through a few bunkers to provide berms.

For the TDF we actually camped on Addingham golf course, which had the advantage that the Tour passed through on the Saturday and the Sunday. A certain younger member had succeeded in persuading the committee that since the roads would be closed and there would be no golf that weekend, they'd do better to open up to cyclists. After a long committee argument they agreed so the club put on a big screen and food, mobile bogs and showers and made a flattish part of the course available for camping. When we arrived on the Friday evening various club officials were around, directing campers and looking distinctly "on edge". By Sunday they had relaxed as they came to realise that cyclists are actually quite peaceful folk and not about to wreck their precious club house. The guest beer ran out soon, the catering and food were awful (we went down to the pub on Saturday night) but the other arrangements worked fine, although the big screen conked out on the Sunday afternoon and the club had to summon a local TV repair man from the village to fix it, pronto, as the paying guest cyclists in the bar were threatening to riot!

It was amusing to stroll around the club and see the evidence of the petty rules and hierarchies - they even had a prestige place reserved in the officials' car park for the "parking raffle winner of the week", which was all of 30 yards nearer the club house than the regular members' parking spaces.

Last edited:
I look forward to the day us cyclists outnumber the golfists then we can have some sensible talk in the office instead of the current rubbish about golf bats, walking round the golf pitch, and cringle golf tops.
Yes, imagine how the golfists would react to water cooler talk about titanium parts, dimpled aero wheels, strava sections, fancy shoes, Lycra and Assos. Now that would be sensible talk for once.

How about converting some golf courses to cycling venues?
Funnily enough that's what's planned for one of our local golf clubs gone bust. They are talking to the council about building mountain bike trails.
That would be good but on the other hand I do find it sad that so many golf clubs are in such financial difficulty these days. I've never played golf but it does appeal to me.

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpg
I look forward to the day us cyclists outnumber the golfists then we can have some sensible talk in the office instead of the current rubbish about golf bats, walking round the golf pitch, and cringle golf tops.

Here's one of Mr M's crying tops. Least we'll find him if he gets lost :smile:

andyfraser

Über Member
Me and a couple of mates started playing golf in the mid 90s. We bought the gear and went out most Sundays. I was terrible at it and once the nice weather became cold and wet I started to hate golf and stopped playing. Playing golf in the rain is a truly horrible experience. And if you think cycling into a headwind is frustrating just try playing golf on a windy day and watch a sudden gust blow your ball into a lake.

Cycling can be something that you do with a couple of mates on nice days like golf but it's so much more. It's transport for me too. I can go out when I want in all weathers for as long as I want. I can go out on my own or with friends. And I don't mind cycling in the rain.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I doubt that Masons will be the first to switch, you might have to change career

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm one of the few that isn't a Mason. Could be why my career has plateau'd at my current rank.

In all seriousness though, nowhere near as bad as it used to be. 25 years ago it was frightening how they ran the place, decided careers, even - I strongly believe - obstructed investigations where it suited them. The Legion of the Velomanti is set to continue where they left off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Interesting point - I never considered the Masons. I wonder if membership is also declining?

It's not just the Masons though - there are others like the Ancient Order of Buffalos and the religious organisations like Knights of St Columba. What about the Round Table? The Lions? Aren't they all cosy clubs for business pals?

Enlarging on my theme; I would blame a lot of the failure of British manufacturing on the cronyism that was engendered by these clubs; favouritism would mean that senior jobs went only to white men with the right connections, many of whom are now seen to have been grossly incompetent. On my travels around Africa I see how cronyism and corruption at government level and on a petty employment level, ensure that unsuitable people hold posts and businesses fail.

Last edited:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
golfers useually buy the best clubs,shirts,trousers jumper,rain gear,balls t's.trolly,glove,shoes, ect and go to pose on some course,talk about all they have and what they are going to get,yet most cant hit a ball to save them selfs,and then they decide they dont like golf and the clubs gather dust in the garage,yes i supose it is like the new cycling,or cyclist
You've met me then ???

I dislike 'golfy' types. It's irritating that a lot of 'golfy' types are moving to cycling, but there's naff all I can do about it, so meh.

Top Bottom