Why Cycling Really, Really Is The New Golf...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
All sports are equal. Just because certain disciplines don't appeal in no way lessens their worth.

Golf, football, tennis etc aren't sports - merely games surely?

Mountaineering, caving, deep sea diving etc are sports (to paraphrase Hemingway)

cashy293

As a golfer myself, I have not experienced the elitism perception that many people who don't play the game have of the sport. Obviously there are exceptions but in my experience, 99% of the people at my club are ordinary working class people like me who have similar interests and lifestyle.

In fact, many of the people at my club are also cyclists too and that is often the topic of conversation in the bar after a round. A guy who I regularly play golf with was the guy who got me interested in cycling.

With regards mentioning the clothing that golfers wear.... I think I look better in my golf gear that I do in my lycra any day but that might be because I am carrying some extra Christmas weight and bulging in places where bulges shouldn't be.

400bhp

Guru
Very good point :thumbsdown:. By the same argument, you cant use your bike to hit a golf ball 300 yards.

Yeah, but what's the point. It doesn't achieve anything.

On the other hand, cycling in a big circle to visit some cafe in the middle of nowhere for cake and coffee, when there's a perfectly acceptable cafe half a mile from your house, means you are being equally fair to all cafe establishments in a 50 mile radius - or sommat.

Citius

Cycling is the 'new golf'? So what. If it ever becomes the 'new football' - now that would be worth celebrating.

Citius

You can cycle while smoking a fag?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you can do it while smoking a fag, it isn't a sport. Golf, darts....not sports. I'm willing to give swimming a dispensation though
cipollini4.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
Each to their own really.
Mr M started playing golf as a kid, took it up seriously as a teenager when he started driving (car).
He plays because he enjoys it and is quite good, got down to 6 handicap but crept up to 8. (Not at all bad for a 50+, short, chubber).
I am happy he has a hobby which gets him out in the fresh air getting a good workout, which he enjoys. Could be doing worse in his spare time.
He says there are some "prats" at the club but he usually just plays with his regular partners and they are all decent, hardworking guys who enjoy a round in their leisure time.

Top Bottom