Why do people want lighter bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why is harder less enjoyable?
Don't we cycle at least in part for fitness? I run. Running is hard. I still enjoy it.
As for carrying it up the stairs. Again. Fitness and strength.

I'll bet there are people who buy a light bike for carrying up the stairs then proceed to go to the gym and lift very heavy weights. :whistle:
Some of us have medical conditions that make pushing too hard and lifting heavy dead weights ill advised...and running forbidden

You can get fit riding a lighter bike further as above

How do you know you burn more calories, have you undergone scientific testing?

If it makes you happy doing what you're doing, go for it

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Why is harder less enjoyable?
Don't we cycle at least in part for fitness? I run. Running is hard. I still enjoy it.
As for carrying it up the stairs. Again. Fitness and strength.

I'll bet there are people who buy a light bike for carrying up the stairs then proceed to go to the gym and lift very heavy weights. :whistle:
OK, we get it. You like your bike. That's good. It makes you extra virtuous. Good for you.

From the sound of it, I doubt that I would like it. That also is good because I have my own bike which I like.

People are allowed to differ.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
OK, we get it. You like your bike. That's good. It makes you extra virtuous. Good for you.

From the sound of it, I doubt that I would like it. That also is good because I have my own bike which I like.

People are allowed to differ.

huh? Of course people are allowed to differ? Why am I extra virtuous? How strange.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No

• Makes you stronger than a lighter bike - No , you just go slower for the same calories burned
  • Makes you fitter than a lighter bike - No , see above
  • Burns more calories than a lighter bike (more cake for me) - Mmm cake but you get to the cake quicker on a light bike
  • Slightly slower therefore more time riding. :okay: - You go further in the time
    [...]
Right answers but wrong reason IMO. This is in the commuting section, so going further isn't a concern unless their workplace is running around the countryside to be caught! However, going faster over a fixed distance means having to overcome air resistance which increases asymptotically quadratically IIRC, whereas carrying more weight only increases linearly.

In other words: to move a bike twice as heavy will only take maybe 10-12% more energy (because the bike weight is dwarfed by rider weight which is near constant) but moving a bike twice as fast takes much more than twice the energy (it's complicated, but there are graphs and calculators like http://americanroadcycling.org/articles/PSL/WiddersHump/WattsSpeed.htm online).

So all else being equal, it's better to increase speed than weight if you want to maximise the exercise.

Personally, I like a reasonably light bike, but I'm tall, so it's never going to be that light if I want it to be dependable and able to carry decent amounts of stuff like 20 litre bags of compost, bundles of logs for the fire or 3m ladders, to name but three things I've moved by bike (not for work).

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Always this has confused me.

I run a pig iron heavy road bike I got off Amazon for £150 about 5 years ago, I've done well over 10,000 miles on it and love it. But fairly often people say to me "oh you want to get a new bike mate". I ask why. "well, that ones so heavy".

Other than for actual racing, I just don't get this?
For commuting & leisure riding surely you want a heavier bike?

Positives of a heavier bike

• Makes you stronger than a lighter bike
  • Makes you fitter than a lighter bike
  • Burns more calories than a lighter bike (more cake for me)
  • Slightly slower therefore more time riding. :okay:
  • Cheaper than a lighter bike.
  • Higher heart rate uphill than on a lighter bike.
  • Often more robust than a lighter bike.
  • Less likely to be stolen than a lighter bike.

Really the list goes on.

So why is it the obsession with a lighter / more expensive bike for those who are not competitively racing?
The big one for me is fitness. I'm fitter and stronger commuting on my £150 bike than I would be commuting on a £2000 bike.
You would be fitter stronger and faster on a lightweight bike. Simple.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I'm assuming you have a flat commute.......?
Mixture. The hills are hard! but that's the point... you don't get fitter unless you get in the red zone. I'm willing to bet I am fitter and stronger than someone doing the same commute on a light bike.

rivers

How far can I go?
It's more fun to ride to ride my lighter bike. Although my new CX bike is also really fun to ride. But my old specialized, which wasn't heavy compared to a lot of bikes out there, but heavy compared to my carbon bike, wasn't as fun. It was sluggish and ehhhh in comparison to the others.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For obvious reasons, I wanted a light bike for leisure routes with these elevation profiles ...

Season of Mists royd profile.png

Dales route 2018 profile.png

I would NOT bothered about bike weight on these routes ...

Y-HB-Y profile.png

CC 200 profile.gif

I am riding my CX bike through the winter and that weighs 4 kg (9 lbs) more than my best bike. I can feel the extra weight every time I go up a big climb. It isn't a showstopper, but I'm looking forward to going back to the lighter bike in the spring!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Always this has confused me.

I run a pig iron heavy road bike I got off Amazon for £150 about 5 years ago, I've done well over 10,000 miles on it and love it. But fairly often people say to me "oh you want to get a new bike mate". I ask why. "well, that ones so heavy".

Other than for actual racing, I just don't get this?
For commuting & leisure riding surely you want a heavier bike?

Positives of a heavier bike

• Makes you stronger than a lighter bike
  • Makes you fitter than a lighter bike
  • Burns more calories than a lighter bike (more cake for me)
  • Slightly slower therefore more time riding. :okay:
  • Cheaper than a lighter bike.
  • Higher heart rate uphill than on a lighter bike.
  • Often more robust than a lighter bike.
  • Less likely to be stolen than a lighter bike.

Really the list goes on.

So why is it the obsession with a lighter / more expensive bike for those who are not competitively racing?
The big one for me is fitness. I'm fitter and stronger commuting on my £150 bike than I would be commuting on a £2000 bike.

If you have a load to carry a lighter bike makes it easier.

I've just shed 2 kg by buying a new bike.
For me It tips the balance in favour of riding rather than driving, on a shopping or delivery trip.
Some if us alreafy have tiring / fittening enough work, without deliberately adding to the grind.. By riding a heavier bike.

If cycling is easier all round, then I'm more likely to take the bike, instead of the car, with all the benefits that flow from that.

Also means you can do steeper hills before having to give up and push (particularly when touring)
Pushing a loaded bike from one side isn't great for your back.

mynydd

Veteran
I think there are too many variables.....
I commute every day, and have a very hilly commute home. I’ve a range of bikes ranging from my heavy trusty tricross, laden with panniers, mudguards and lights to my cf canyon endurance......
When I use the endurance I definitely work harder, and have a substantially harder workout.... whereas the tricross encourages me to sit back and spin.
But ultimately who cares as long as you’re enjoying it? We’re probably all substantially fitter than most people who drive to work :becool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom