Why do proffesional cycle racers shave their legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I always thought the main reason was to make it easier for masseurs etc, and to make gravel rash easier to treat.
I think a lot of it is also to show off the muscle mass that they carry.

I tried it once... (confession time coming up)

I was convinced that underneath that matt of hair lied the toned, ripped and shapely legs of a formidable athlete.
The clippers, then razor were duly applied and after removing what looked like the contents of a barbours floor, I rushed to the mirror to study my magnificent new physique.

Sadly though, I was wrong.

Although muscular, I hadn't accounted for the layer of fat that the pro racers don't have, which was obscuring my imagined definition.
The end result was more like George Doors in lycra, and I had to suffer the following few weeks wearing longs until the hair regrew...

Speedywheelsjeans

Lots of reasons why many of us do it... including myself (not that im a pro)

1. Because cyclists have always done it, you need to look the part and mammoth legs are not very 'cyclist'
2. Aesthetics... I mean, look at those muscles
3. Intimidation, 4% bodyfat you can see all your tendons and veins ripping through your skin... makes the guy following you wonder if hes fit enough to keep your pace.
4. Easier to clean after an off.
5. Easy massage where hair isnt being ripped from the root.
6. Better disposal of bodyheat.. to a degree (excuse the pun)
7. Aerodynamics..... nah .. even I dont buy that one, probably the same difference adding 0.01PSI makes in your tyre.

VamP

Banned
All the things Speedywheels mentions get wheeled out. Ultimately, it's a ''belonging to a club'' thing. And it's definitely not a preserve of the pros. Every single race I have ever taken part in, I am just about the only rider with hairy legs. Which again is a kind of a statement thing. Plus I'm lazy.

BTW 4% bodyfat - you'd be on a stretcher ^_^

Speedywheelsjeans

All the things Speedywheels mentions get wheeled out. Ultimately, it's a ''belonging to a club'' thing. And it's definitely not a preserve of the pros. Every single race I have ever taken part in, I am just about the only rider with hairy legs. Which again is a kind of a statement thing. Plus I'm lazy.

BTW 4% bodyfat - you'd be on a stretcher ^_^

It was a wild guess based on no knowledge of acceptable bodyfat percentages.. i just went for something low :laugh:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Ultimately, it's a ''belonging to a club'' thing. And it's definitely not a preserve of the pros. Every single race I have ever taken part in, I am just about the only rider with hairy legs. Which again is a kind of a statement thing. Plus I'm lazy.
My hairy legs are a bit of a statement too, along with sticking with SPDs (and despite these contraventions I can still keep up, amazingly). Plus, given I'm not too fussed about shaving my face, I'm certainly not going to start shaving my legs as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you want to understand leg shaving and all the other obscure "lore" of professional cycling I recommend you read a very excellent little book called The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton. It will only take you a couple of hours to read and it has a shocking twist in the tail (tale?). Seaton explains that shaving the legs is a kind of rite of passage from amateur to professional or at least amateur to serious; it helps with hygiene and massage but above all he reckons it's aesthetic; all part of the roadie obsession with cleanliness, purity, minimalism and efficiency. Seaton says you'd get laughed out of the peloton if you turned up with hairy legs, probably in the same way as if you turned up with a saddle bag. As a side benefit Seaton reckons an experienced rider can predict an opponent's likely strengths and weaknesses by studying his physique and muscle shape, which is easier with shaved legs.

Why stop at your legs :ohmy:

I 'start' at the top of my legs! :thumbsup:

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I admit that during race season/warmer weather, I do it too. I'm actually (today) just at that "too short to shave again, but horribly itchy" stage. Part of it is a fitting-in thing. I've heard the whole arguments over it being easier for wounds to heal, but I'm sceptical. Mostly, for me, it's just a fitting in and trying to be one of the cool kids thing. I admit it, I'm just a sad wannabe!

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Well thaks for all of your answers. I think I have a clearer idea of what's going on now although some of the mental images (and actual images) conjoured up in this thread will not leave me for a long timeand I may need counseling.

oldroadman

Veteran
All the good reasons why anyone racing at a decent level would want to have the clean skin for massage and just in case (or the inevitable if you are top endish - or 4th cat/novice!!).
The body fat thing is simple, at the end of a stage race of more than 6 days, it's not uncommon to be below 5%, and a Grand Tour can cause 3% in some people. Which is why the immune system gets a bit battered and things like bad insides or bronchitis can run through a peloton.
But you are not nearly dead, often absolutely flying, and just need to keep the fuel topped up. 7000kcals a day should do it during the race days.

Top Bottom