Why do proffesional cycle racers shave their legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's an aesthetic thing - It simply looks better.

Agreed. Many's the time I've gazed at the hairy pins sticking out of the end of my shorts and thought they'd look better shaved but I've never had the guts to go through with it. But then I'm not a racer. Also, I'd probably get expelled from Audax UK.

d.

Nothing to do with Aerodi's. It's to do with massaging the legs and treating any road rash. It's easier to do this with shaved rather then unshaved legs.

lulubel

Über Member
I admit that during race season/warmer weather, I do it too. I'm actually (today) just at that "too short to shave again, but horribly itchy" stage. Part of it is a fitting-in thing. I've heard the whole arguments over it being easier for wounds to heal, but I'm sceptical. Mostly, for me, it's just a fitting in and trying to be one of the cool kids thing. I admit it, I'm just a sad wannabe!

If you do it all year round, and shave at least every other day, you'll stop getting the horribly itchy stage after a while. The best way to prevent shaving rash on the body (I don't know about face, so it may be the same) is to shave daily.

Re: pro cyclists shaving, I always assumed it was to make massage and injury healing a more pleasant process.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
So what I'm basically picking up from everybodies comments is that it's mostly a sex thing as it makes the "massage" easier. Well, I bet it does.

Speedywheelsjeans

If you do it all year round, and shave at least every other day, you'll stop getting the horribly itchy stage after a while. The best way to prevent shaving rash on the body (I don't know about face, so it may be the same) is to shave daily.

Re: pro cyclists shaving, I always assumed it was to make massage and injury healing a more pleasant process.

You'll never get rid of the itchiness as a man, it just gets more bearable! Our hairs are thicker and we have have more then them (or at least in my case). We seem to have a harder time shaving our legs than our female counterparts.

lulubel

Über Member
You'll never get rid of the itchiness as a man, it just gets more bearable! Our hairs are thicker and we have have more then them (or at least in my case). We seem to have a harder time shaving our legs than our female counterparts.

But I wasn't thinking about leg hair on a woman when I wrote that. The hairs I was thinking of are MUCH more coarse than leg hair :biggrin:

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I noticed (in C+ recently) an advert for male-specific* hair removal cream... Maybe I'll give that a go next.

*By "male-specific", I'm guessing it's the same stuff as girls use, but in a blue container and 50% more expensive

I never bought the reasons Pro`s give other than trying to look better and even that is odd because most non cyclists regard it as shall we say a different look. Id need a lawn mower for my furry legs so I dont.:smile:

Top Bottom