Why do pros ride bikes with such paint jobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Watching the grand tours this year has made me wonder why, as the title says, do so many of the bikes have such uninspiring paint jobs?...……………
Looking at this years bikes many seem to be a single colour with a simple typeface that is too large for the frame, e.g. BMC or Canyon. They don't make me want them, seems like a wasted opportunity?

For me, the main reason I have no wish to buy one is they are pretty much all carbon and they all look ugly. The best paint job in the world can't make an ugly bike look pretty. Oversized decals on oversized frame tubes are easier to pick out at a distance, which is why they are so liveried. The effect is horrible, but the marketing muppets don't know any better. For them, garish and tasteless equals good. No doubt most of them are millennials who have spent half of their existence on this earth glued to a computer screen, and actually believe that social media and computer-generated graphics is the real world!

screenman

Legendary Member
Good afternoon,

Watching the grand tours this year has made me wonder why, as the title says, do so many of the bikes have such uninspiring paint jobs?

I remember when I was kid, Viking and Holdsworth both had UK based pro teams and I wanted a Holdsworth because of the Orange and Blue paint job, the one Planet X are using now, the Viking looked cheap.

Then there was the red Team Raleigh bike with the black and yellow downtube transfers, beautiful. I am sure many Raleigh Europas (non alloy steel frame, steel wheels and chainset etc) were sold because of it.

Given that these were all 531 frames so probably close to identical colour was the only thing to consider when choosing!

Looking at this years bikes many seem to be a single colour with a simple typeface that is too large for the frame, e.g. BMC or Canyon.

They don't make me want them, seems like a wasted opportunity?

Bye

Ian

Maybe you do not fit into their customer idea, what bike are you buying this year?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5369984, member: 43827"]I thought that it was more likely these days that 'old men' have more disposable money. ^_^[/QUOTE]

I have no shortage of disposable income, just a shortage of quality stuff that I consider nice enough or good enough value for money to be worth buying. Like @User43827 I also have no intention of shelling out a load of money for the privilege of being a tasteless mobile advertising medium for someone's wares. Anything I have with a logo on it has to be fairly discreet, not plastered all over it in as large letters as possible.

Rockn Robin

Good afternoon,

Watching the grand tours this year has made me wonder why, as the title says, do so many of the bikes have such uninspiring paint jobs?

I remember when I was kid, Viking and Holdsworth both had UK based pro teams and I wanted a Holdsworth because of the Orange and Blue paint job, the one Planet X are using now, the Viking looked cheap.

Then there was the red Team Raleigh bike with the black and yellow downtube transfers, beautiful. I am sure many Raleigh Europas (non alloy steel frame, steel wheels and chainset etc) were sold because of it.

Given that these were all 531 frames so probably close to identical colour was the only thing to consider when choosing!

Looking at this years bikes many seem to be a single colour with a simple typeface that is too large for the frame, e.g. BMC or Canyon.

They don't make me want them, seems like a wasted opportunity?

Bye

Ian

To be quite honest, I'm uninspired by the colors today. Sorry, what colors? When I was in a bike shop the other day with a friend, it appeared that the popular color choice is black. Most of the bikes on display were either black or grey. Don't get me wrong, black is nice, but what about other nice bright colors. I guess they are not popular anymore.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Michael Schumacher said he wants the metallic red .

Lewis Hamilton went with mica arrow silver and Peter Sagan insisted he wanted some graphics up front .Sheesh .

Drago

Legendary Member
To be quite honest, I'm uninspired by the colors today. Sorry, what colors? When I was in a bike shop the other day with a friend, it appeared that the popular color choice is black. Most of the bikes on display were either black or grey. Don't get me wrong, black is nice, but what about other nice bright colors. I guess they are not popular anymore.

My modern bikes are bright red, black, a marbled burgundy, and pale gold. The others have been powder coated. Quite a reasonable spread of colour.

Rockn Robin

My modern bikes are bright red, black, a marbled burgundy, and pale gold. The others have been powder coated. Quite a reasonable spread of colour.

I've always liked bright colors, but it seams to be the trend over here at the moment for more blacks and grays. Just a phase, I'm sure.

Top Bottom