Why do pros ride bikes with such paint jobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon,

Watching the grand tours this year has made me wonder why, as the title says, do so many of the bikes have such uninspiring paint jobs?

I remember when I was kid, Viking and Holdsworth both had UK based pro teams and I wanted a Holdsworth because of the Orange and Blue paint job, the one Planet X are using now, the Viking looked cheap.

Then there was the red Team Raleigh bike with the black and yellow downtube transfers, beautiful. I am sure many Raleigh Europas (non alloy steel frame, steel wheels and chainset etc) were sold because of it.

Given that these were all 531 frames so probably close to identical colour was the only thing to consider when choosing!

Looking at this years bikes many seem to be a single colour with a simple typeface that is too large for the frame, e.g. BMC or Canyon.

They don't make me want them, seems like a wasted opportunity?

Bye

Ian

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s clearly what the designers think looks cool
And the marketeers think the bike buying public will want when lookalike bikes are released to the market

jarlrmai

Veteran
Pros ride the bike the sponsors provide for them so that they advertise that bike maker, special riders who have won Olympics, world's, nationals or achieved other top awards will sometimes have a special paint job applied to the bike, like Tony Martin's Kraftwerk TT bike. Sagan has had a few. There may also be more subtle additions for some bikes like WC stripes etc. GCN's pro bike 'reviews' are a good place to see these.

midlife

Guru
Still no beating Lagoon Blue, White and chrome :smile:

03.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Still no beating Lagoon Blue, White and chrome :smile:

View attachment 427906
I Remember that exact model in the window of a shop near me. It was unusual for it's day as you hardly ever saw complete race bikes for sale with sprints and tubs as standard, most cyclists built their own. I spent a fair bit of time gazing in the shop window lusting after it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Bedause flash paintwork detracts from the main sponsorship billboards, AKA the riders clothing. It's difficult to get a meaningful logo that shows up well in tv on a bike frame, so it goes on their snazzy tight fitting lyrcra instead.

BITD this is why Hetchins used curly stays, to make their bikes instantly recognisable.

midlife

Guru
Bedause flash paintwork detracts from the main sponsorship billboards, AKA the riders clothing. It's difficult to get a meaningful logo that shows up well in tv on a bike frame, so it goes on their snazzy tight fitting lyrcra instead.

BITD this is why Hetchins used curly stays, to make their bikes instantly recognisable.

Yep, vibrant stays and diadrent forks :smile:

Top Bottom