My experience fwiw
Pre tubeless: Schwalbe Durano Plus. About two or three punctures a year. Normally sods law meant it was raining and horrible.
Tubeless (past 5 or so years): Pirelli Cinturato Velo. No punctures at all. One debacle due to misaligned brakes rubbing tyres (my fault). Put a tube in. Took no longer than changing a tube. Not messy at all (at least not until I got home and took the tube out!).
So what I've done is moved the faff from at the roadside in the rain to the comfort of my garage. I'm happy with that trade-off.
My choice of tyres may be important here. I go for tyres with good puncture resistance to begin with. I imagine some of the tubeless roadside disasters you read about may be from people using relatively flimsy/racy tyres. I have tubes on my fixed gear bike, so my standard toolkit includes spare tubes and instant patches whichever bike I'm riding.
I'm open to the use of wax, but I'm not unhappy with my current chain care regime so the impetus to move isn't there. I might try it sometime, just out of curiosity.
I use WD40 on my garden tools with moving parts (mower, hedge trimmer, loppers etc) after use. Keeps them lubricated (yes,
lubricated), clean and stops corrosion or seizing up during periods of no use. Other tools without moving parts may get a squirt before being put away if they are corrosion prone.