Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have a car but petrol prices are ridiculous

• I enjoy cycling

• Something else

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Simple Bus = £1.20 each way, Car = Hastle, traffic jams, Petrol and finding a space, Bike = Free, Free and Free

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
For the exercise, for the enjoyment and to ensure that I don't have to spend a fortune getting on the overcrowded London Tube network.

tordis

Why? Because I like it, that's why. I enjoy it so much more than sitting in a stuffy tube carriage and trying to avoid eye contact with the guy sitting in front of me, or worse still, standing for 45 minutes in my high heels, holding on to the rails for dear life and twisting my neck to keep away from someone's smelly armpits. Honestly, if you live in London, cycling is the only way to remain sane. Even with all those shouting cabbies, bus drivers trying to push you into the kerb and aggressive drivers who think they're always right, cycling is so much more pleasant than using public transport.
A car was never an option - first of all, I don't even have a driver's licence, and secondly, there's many nicer things to do than being stuck in traffic.
Exercise is important, too. I go to the gym 3 times a week, I swim once a week, so I'd still be OK without cycling, but I'd miss it a lot.
Oh, and saving time is vital, too. I save around 30 minutes a day - enough to have a cup of tea, read a chapter of a book or have a chat with my sis on the phone.

ChrisKH

Guru
Short though my commute is, I point blank refuse to spend £4.50 a day just to park at the station. Also I will not get a mini-cab out of principle. So spite, basically.;)

And I get to wear shorts. :tongue:

BenM

Veteran
I ride the bike out of habit (similar commute for the last 20 years or so) plus using a car for a 2 mile trip each way in rush hour is a sure fire way to wear the car out rather more quickly than necessary. Cycling also keeps the spare tyre to a reasonable size, allows me to relax between home and work/work and home and I enjoy it - whatever the weather.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
It takes the same time if not quicker to do my same work journey by bike than by car and of course i am saving loads,getting fit and helping save the planet !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Speaking as a Londoner, 'saves money' would be a good option to offer. Cars really aren't an option for any but the super-rich, but even the public transport costs are around £100 a month, so saving that is certainly a factor.

EvoII

• Exercise & stress relief
  • I enjoy it a lot now
  • I get to use my car for pleasure at the weekend, rather than sitting in queues in the week.
  • C2W scheme gets me something tax-free from the gubberment!

skrx

1) It's 15 minutes faster than walking to/from the station and taking the train.

2) A travelcard costs £760/year, and after the year I've got nothing to show for it. A bike costs a similar amount (I allow it to...) but after a year, I still have a bike!

3) Exercise. I think nothing of cycling from south-west to north-east London to meet up with friends after work. Someone's girlfriend suggested I was weird. I think she's weird -- she was out of breath after walking from the tube station platform to the street. I think everyone else is weird too. They'd rather sit on buses in traffic or take rush-hour trains instead of zipping along the backstreets.

Matthames

Über Member
Firstly, exercise. I wanted a cheap way and easy way of loosing weight and improving my fitness that I can commit to. Walking being too slow for me and the places I usually go to are not really at a suitable walking distance. Because of my disability I get free bus travel, however I hate having to rely on the buses.

It is also better for the environment as a bike is a zero carbon emitter, runs on bio fuels and the bio fuel does not take away from food crop. Being veggie means that the fuel I use is really very low impact.

I enjoy cycling, the speed gets me to places I wouldn't be able to do by foot, I also like the endorphine glow you get when you have been out cycling.

I put something else, I had a motorcycle licence, but that had to go back to the DVLA because of a medical condition. This has left me with limited transport options.

Top Bottom