Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have a car but petrol prices are ridiculous

• I enjoy cycling

• Something else

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I don't commute at present, but when I did and was also able to use the bike it was mainly because I enjoyed it and it saved me driving, which I've never enjoyed. Being quicker and saving money were a bonus, as was the exercise.

I now use a bike as basic transport around town and the same applies. It's Wednesday and so far this week I've avoided £6.40 in parking charges and about £3.00 in fuel, done 20 miles of utility cycling including some heavy shopping to keep the waistline down, saved at least 30 minutes getting parked and sitting in the traffic, and done rather less than £9.00 worth of wear to the bike. Provided that it doesn't rain the car just can't compete with the bike!

Brahan

Über Member
For me, cycling to work is sometimes quicker, it's always better fun, it's brilliant exercise and is an important part of my TT training. It means that as a family with 2 kids, we only need to run one car (where we used to have 2) which saves tax, insurance, petrol, maintenence, car parking etc. I can eat more of the food I enjoy and pay for it by upping the tempo on my ride, I love the feeling of earning a rest that comes after a hard ride.

I love being able to carry most of the things I need to repair any issues I may have with the bike, fixing a puncture (mine or someone else's) breaking a chain and remembering that I brought my chain tool ;)

I enjoy tagging on a few extra miles when the weather's nice - just because. I love the fact that I have a choice of 4 bikes to choose from which result in totally different rides.

But most importantly I just like feeling of going as quick as I can, head down and GLF.

I ticked every box except;

I have a car but petrol prices are ridiculous

I am not a car owner!

Habit is another reason, I have been cycling on and off for the past 20-25 years. (Continuous commuting for the past 14 years)

Its quicker, public transport does not meet my needs.

CTW scheme allows me to pay a little less tax!

Cycling is my gym time, my chill out time after a 12 shift, my wake up time before. Nothing beets the warm glow I get following the cycle into work and a hot shower

People pay to holiday and cycle my commute route; this gives me extra special mellow feeling.

nich

I just had enough of my train journey being delayed/broken. When it works it's fine, and it's only 25 minutes into London, but I just don't sitting on broken train, nor standing around for 30 mins waiting for delayed one, and having to pay for it! :laugh:

If only I had started commuting by bike several years ago, it has sooo many benefits. Sometimes I just want to tap on the car windows as I pass them and tell them to get one of these 2 wheel things, so much more fun! :rofl:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
nich said:
Sometimes I just want to tap on the car windows as I pass them and tell them to get one of these 2 wheel things, so much more fun! :tongue:

Yep. I hear you there. I frequently dream that the council will get around to putting up roadsigns with an 'estimated time' for peak traffic underneath. On my approach into London each day, I'm imagining something like:

West End
65 mins (car)
50 mins (bus)
35 mins (bike)

Don't suppose it would be so compelling in other parts of the country, or where the bus lanes weren't so prevalent. I drove to work a few weeks back. Same route, but outside rush hour by 3 hours. Still took over twice as long as my daily cycle, and that's over 20 miles!

Wobblers

Euthermic
Not merely do I enjoy it whilst getting in some exercise but cycling to work is also faster than either the bus or car, and cheaper than either bus or car. It also much more reliable than public transport - when I set off I know to within five minutes when I'll arrive. Then there's the freedom of being able to go when I want to rather than having the hassle of having to arrange your life around someone else's idea of a bus/train timetable... which inevitably doesn't turn up when it's supposed to!

Commuting by bike... what's not to like?? :smile:

OP
OP
N

NigC

Damn! It looks like I missed an option of the list that's very true for a lot:

It's the fastest way to get there.

Should have realised that :smile:

Notsoblue

I live and work in central London and commuting by bike is quicker and more enjoyable. Door to desk (including shower) is 45 mins by bike, and about an hour by public transport. Plus it means I can avoid being cooped up in a sweaty tube carriage. :smile:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I voted, exercise + environment + enjoyment + something else, the 'else' being I get to watch lycra-clad female posteriors (discreetly, of course! ;)). Oh, and it's cheaper (that should have been a poll option, btw).

Cheers,

--- Victor.

quidditys_shore

i'll be doing it for exercise, enviroment & something else which is saving money & rubbish buses.

costs me £16 a week in bus fares but there is atleast 1 journey a week where it doesnt turn up or is significantly late.arriva buses are pretty awful around here & they have no customer service what so ever! they just sent me an email called "car v bus - the nation decides!" which gets you to input data about how much you travel them tells you how it'll be cheaper. funny how they didnt include cycling!

Top Bottom