Why do you cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have been a member of this site for a while now and can't help noticing the various type of cyclists we have here. Some are obsessed with distance and regard 20 miles as just a walk in the park. Others go for Strava and clock beating. A few are all for hills and stamina. Me? I don't fit in any of them, my age prevents me from it, so I am just a cyclist who has never riden more than 40 miles, has an average speed of about 12.5mph, ride only in dry weather if I can help it and never ride after daylight. Am I in the minority?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Maybe - but if you ride your bike/ like your bike(s) - you are just as much a cyclist :bicycle: as any others here. :thumbsup:

... and probably more than many :whistle: ..... :giggle:

If you like CC - it doesn't really matter, does it ? :hugs:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I cycle because .... I can; and getting to an age where I realise that might not always be the case :ohmy:.
Purely for leisure purposes for me, so no need to get cold, wet, or blown about.
I also enjoy the side effects of keeping the weight down, hopefully giving health benefits, and saving me money as the car stays at home while I am out cycling.

Jodee1kenobi

I don't fit into a particular box either and wouldn't want to either. The important thing is to just get on your bike and enjoy the time you spend on it!!:hyper:
I don't particularly go fast, but do like distance, because it means I spend more time on my bike. Equally, I enjoy pootling to the shops with the trailer on the back to do the shopping or cycling to my friends to visit.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have been a member of this site for a while now and can't help noticing the various type of cyclists we have here. Some are obsessed with distance and regard 20 miles as just a walk in the park. Others go for Strava and clock beating. A few are all for hills and stamina. Me? I don't fit in any of them, my age prevents me from it, so I am just a cyclist who has never riden more than 40 miles, has an average speed of about 12.5mph, ride only in dry weather if I can help it and never ride after daylight. Am I in the minority?

Nope, you sound identical to me! I want to enjoy my cycling not feel I have to do it. I love early morning cycles but we are about to have a lengthy cold spell here with temperatures below freezing overnight and not much above during the day. Already had mornings when I have looked out the window to find sparkling roads so no intention of breaking anything just to keep my mileage up. If I can even get out once or twice a week over the winter I can pick things up again in the spring.

lulubel

Über Member
I just ride because it's fun ... and it keeps me fit and healthy ... and allows me to eat lots of food.

Yes, I enjoy riding up mountains, and sometimes I like to see how fast or far I can go, or how many miles I can do in a week, but those are secondary to the simple pleasure of just getting out in the air and feeling alive.

subaqua

What’s the point
started riuding for fun as a kid. had a break when i discovered cars, big mistake should have kept cycling. came back to it properly 2 years ago and now ride for fun, to keep fit , save money ( ha yeah right) and a multitude of other reasons.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Only started cycling because I was sick of the bus! Now I commute, but I'm also a keen road cyclist. I keep trying to get further, faster...etc and I'm constantly setting goals for myself. I've recently joined Strava too, so I'm chasing segment times!

subaqua

What’s the point
Only started cycling because I was sick of the bus! Now I commute, but I'm also a keen road cyclist. I keep trying to get further, faster...etc and I'm constantly setting goals for myself. I've recently joined Strava too, so I'm chasing segment times!

getting sick of sweaty armpits in my face 1st thing in the morning on the bus and tube was another factor in why i ride.

subaqua

What’s the point
and a great thing is that I have a stinking cold at the moment and am still going into work as the ride in, albeit slower than normal, helps deal with the cold. plus if i don't ride in i might drop out of the top ten on endomondo :whistle:

Top Bottom