Why do you cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Sure. Some of us burn spare fat, some get by on a can of baked beans, others go to a Michelin starred restaurant for their dinner. Which amount will you judge as appropriate to pricing this up correctly?

Well that depends on the person. Just because something is difficult to measure it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I would suggest the best way for me would be to add all my food costs, attribute a fifth of them to cyling and divide by miles travelled. Then I can live on caviar or baked beans and it would give a good enough approximation of costs for additional food.

I've been reluctant to add up what cycling costs, mainly because I don't think I would like what I found. I'm pretty far down the food chain as far as fancy kit is concerned, but it still costs a fair bit. Put it this way, I get 12p a mile at work for using my bike and don't think it comes close!

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Also because swmbo doesnt like cycling.

Kins

Über Member
Well how many times have you gone back and forwards to work, and how much expense would you have had in a car for the same trip. You've saved on both really, so although the 12p a mile might not cover it, the active lifestyle and the cost of runnin your motor back and forwards probably does! :boxing:

VamP

Banned
Well that depends on the person. Just because something is difficult to measure it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I would suggest the best way for me would be to add all my food costs, attribute a fifth of them to cyling and divide by miles travelled. Then I can live on caviar or baked beans and it would give a good enough approximation of costs for additional food.

I've been reluctant to add up what cycling costs, mainly because I don't think I would like what I found. I'm pretty far down the food chain as far as fancy kit is concerned, but it still costs a fair bit. Put it this way, I get 12p a mile at work for using my bike and don't think it comes close!

I agree that trying to work out what cycling costs is largely pointless. And I do spend a lot too, but I genuinely believe that I actually spend less on food now than I used to before I got very serious about balancing the nutritional requirements of focused cycling. Not that I'm counting. Being four stone lighter is a reward in it's own right :smile:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Started cycling to lose some weight, lost 3 and a half stone, gave up there for 6 weeks, put half a stone back on, wasn`t enjoying the cold and the rain, and xfactor, the walking dead and boardwalk empire was making me enjoy the beer to much at the weekends....got the bit between my teeth this again week and i`ve got back into the cycling

I cycle now to keep my fitness levels up, keep the weight off, i also mostly cycle by myself and i love the time out there on my own....also ,ove the hill climbs, even though am a bit to heavy to get the top times up it i really do enjoy them

kopikat

Regular
I have been a member of this site for a while now and can't help noticing the various type of cyclists we have here. Some are obsessed with distance and regard 20 miles as just a walk in the park. Others go for Strava and clock beating. A few are all for hills and stamina. Me? I don't fit in any of them, my age prevents me from it, so I am just a cyclist who has never riden more than 40 miles, has an average speed of about 12.5mph, ride only in dry weather if I can help it and never ride after daylight. Am I in the minority?
A soul brother........ but I enjoy the feelings of freedom and the indipendance that my riding gives. My bike means that I can go anywhere I like, when I like. I dont have to worry if i've got the bus/train fare, I dont stand waiting on the actions of others to be able to make my journey and I dont waste time. The solitude and being responsible for your own self are a comfort to me in an overcrowded nanny state that would try to control almost all aspects of modern living.
OOOh that was all a bit deep !

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have been a member of this site for a while now and can't help noticing the various type of cyclists we have here. Some are obsessed with distance and regard 20 miles as just a walk in the park. Others go for Strava and clock beating. A few are all for hills and stamina. Me? I don't fit in any of them, my age prevents me from it, so I am just a cyclist who has never riden more than 40 miles, has an average speed of about 12.5mph, ride only in dry weather if I can help it and never ride after daylight. Am I in the minority?
I'm a bit like you. I cycle primarily to get to where I need to be, it just so happens that I quite enjoy it most of the time. It is my aim that when I have got some distance to go that I will still cycle there as there is nowhere in Britain that it is beyond reason to get to. Perhaps not possible if I have a time restraint but if I could go at my own pace I'd like to think I'd go anywhere.
Mostly though I cycle about town and I also use my trailer when I've got stuff to lug about. As such both my bike and trailer have more than paid for themselves in bus fares, taxi fares and petrol.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
A soul brother........ but I enjoy the feelings of freedom and the indipendance that my riding gives. My bike means that I can go anywhere I like, when I like. I dont have to worry if i've got the bus/train fare, I dont stand waiting on the actions of others to be able to make my journey and I dont waste time. The solitude and being responsible for your own self are a comfort to me in an overcrowded nanny state that would try to control almost all aspects of modern living.
OOOh that was all a bit deep !
I completely agree. Independence is perhaps the most appealing aspect of cycling.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
All sorts of reasons to justify it, but the bottom line is simply that its very enjoyable.

While I am a keen rider, I do not participate in, er, 'lively discussions' with Audi drivers as I have no sexual inadequacy that drives an atavistic desire to be dominant in a confrontation. I think ugly thoughts about blood, smile, and half a second later I've forgotten them and I'm getting back to what I enjoy - riding my sickle.
Surely not...At least it's not a scythe. Owy owy owy.

Peteaud

Veteran
Health and fitness.

MTB for a muddy blast, Road bike for just getting out and clearing the mind, also now Strava.

Get a real buzz from just being out on the bike, its only the legs / lungs that let me down.

outlash

also available in orange
Early mornings, out in the sticks, just me on the bike. Bliss.

Health/fitness and all the other benefits are plusses, but personally it's a little bit of 'me' time without having to think about daily life :smile:.

Tony.

There's a few reasons why I cycle. I started cycling just over 3 years ago because I got a 9 month driving and the hotel I was working at at the time was out in the sticks with no public transport to get me there so it was either walk the 12 mile round trip or cycle; I got myself a bicycle and have never looked back.

I enjoy the fact it helps keep me fit (There's plenty of hills round here :wahhey:.) plus when I'm feeling somewhat less than happy a blast on the bike really blows the cobwebs away. I love the financial freedom off a bike; no more petrol, VED, mot, car insurance etc. I love the freedom of being able to go places that I can't in a car. Being exposed to the elements is also an enjoyment factor for me; I find cycling in the rain can be very invigorating at times.

I s'pose ultimately I cycle because I love to cycle.

Top Bottom