Why do you cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I have always enjoyed cycling, but between ages of 16 and 28 I hardly ever went, due to not having a bike. I bought a new bike in 2006 and my mate (Rickshaw Phil) encouraged me back out and I haven't looked back since. I love it now, having bought a better bike earlier this year and it just makes me relax, gets the endorphins going and you get a real sense of achievement at getting somewhere under your own steam.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I go bicycling because I enjoy it. I can go where I want, when I want. I can push for a better average speed if the mood takes me, or I can have a glass or two if that mood takes me. It's a bit of escapism that (once the bike is out of the shop) doesn't necessarily cost a fortune, and I've even got fitter and leaner through doing it. I've got cold, I've got wet, I've got hot, I've been 'scalped', and returned the compliment, and I've enjoyed it all. I'm so glad I found cycling, and that's why I do it.

Kins

Über Member
I started cycling again because I couldn't afford to keep a car I hardly used, and because I wanted to get some fitness after 10 years yoyoing between being fit and being half dead. I enjoy living where I am and walking my dogs in the hills, but sometimes I want to see more in less time. MTB is perfect for that. When I get my road bike project done then I'll have better local road transport to.

VamP

Banned
Well I reckon I need 500 calories a day to cover my cycling. So that certainly adds to the 'cost' per mile.

Sure. Some of us burn spare fat, some get by on a can of baked beans, others go to a Michelin starred restaurant for their dinner. Which amount will you judge as appropriate to pricing this up correctly?

i cycled quite a lot when i was yuonger i had a 30mile commute to work each day,and i planned weekened rides too,then gave it all up for nearly twenty yrs
,ive got to the stage where im enjoying cycling again albeit in pain on the mtb on canal paths etc, the road bike has had hardly any use ,then two days ago the doctor informed me me that the surgery im waiting for on my spine isnt going to happen ...ever !!!!!!!!so if i cant raise the funds for a recumbent trike then my cycling days may be short lived,i have a like new giant defy 2 (2011 and totally unmarked) to sell and a giant rincon hard tail good condition the rest of the money i will have to find somewhere. i still to enjoy cycling all be it on recumbent trike, but i wont give up till i get one.........at least i HOPE i can afford one before i have to give up,,,ive looked at the price of trikes, but in all honesty i cant see it happening for me
i just feel really down abuot it at at the minute..

anyway enough of my morbid thoughts ..........................................................................................................................please carry on as before ..why do you cycle

Kins

Über Member
i cycled quite a lot when i was yuonger i had a 30mile commute to work each day,and i planned weekened rides too,then gave it all up for nearly tweney yrs
,ive got to the stage where im enjoying cycling again albeit in pain on the road bike ,then two days ago the doctor informrd me me that the surgery im waiting for on my spine isnt going to happen ...ever !!!!!!!!so if i cant raise the funds for a recumbent trike then my cycling days may be short lived,i have a like new defy 2 (2011 and totally unmarked) to sell and a giant rincon hard tail good condition the rest of the money i will have to find somewhere i .still to enjoy cycling all be it on recumbent trike, but iwont give up till i get one.........at least i HOPE i can afford one before i give up,,,ive looked at the price of trikes, but in all honesty i cant see it happening for me
i just feel really down abuot it at at the minute..

anyway enough of my morbid thoughts ..........................................................................................................................please carry on as before ..why do you cycle

Sheesh, doesn't sound to good! They give a reason why not? Having battled on and off illness for 10 years at least I saw an end to it. Move to Wales, they'll operate on anything here, even sheep! ;)

Sheesh, doesn't sound to good! They give a reason why not? Having battled on and off illness for 10 years at least I saw an end to it. Move to Wales, they'll operate on anything here, even sheep! ;)

yeah they did give an explanation .... the simple version is the risks far outweigh the benefits:sad::cursing:

yeah they did give an explanation .... the simple version is the risks far outweigh the benefits:sad::cursing:

You certainly have a very apt sig. (love those films!)

I do cycling coz I feel like it. Although I dont time myself I do like to go as fast as I can on the road bike. I have more fun doing 40mph (especially if I manage to overtake a car!) on my road bike than I do at 140 on my motorbike. God knows why though but its all fun.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
y
You certainly have a very apt sig. (love those films!)

I do cycling coz I feel like it. Although I dont time myself I do like to go as fast as I can on the road bike. I have more fun doing 40mph (especially if I manage to overtake a car!) on my road bike than I do at 140 on my motorbike. God knows why though but its all fun.
How often do you actually do 40mph?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I ride my bike because I enjoy it.

I use it to ride to work to get time-neutral free exercise, and to be able to eat what I like. If I couldn't commute by bike, I'd struggle to find the time to leave my family and go off on my own on a ride. So my commute is anything from 5 miles to 20 miles depending upon how much time I have.

It makes me happy - I love the way you are in touch with the weather and the seasons, and enjoy trying to improve my times on Strava in the summer. It's good feeling you're not burning petrol, too.

Sometimes I need to drive to meetings or appointments for work, or if it's too icy I'll drive too. But I really prefer to cycle.

Top Bottom