Why do you cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
To keep some form of fitness, what with shift work and young kids the commute is my main means of keeping fit.
It also lets me get out and meet other people a couple of times a month so i get to talk to other people with similar interests, at home its all kid talk and money worries and at work its all macho bull .

The short answer...
Its the only thing i have that keep me sane,without it i start slipping into ever bigger depressive circles of despair.

Hicky

Guru
I returned to cycling after going to France and enjoying the time out with my kids, my then 6y/o had just learned to ride and was obsessive and I realised what I'd been missing.

I cycle now(commute) because it is faster door to door than either the car or public transport...even in this wind, I dont have time to go to the gym and work long enough hours, I'm not getting up earlier 3/4 times a week to go running.....wife works evenings so it doubles as my fitness quota.

Also I cycle with the kids, to instill that there are other forms of transport other than car/bus/train(we walk alot too) and hopefully encourage cycling to be part of thier life as they grow older(9y/o has cycle training in his school in Feb that I organised in prep for the Highschool commute).

I cycled as a kid(everywhere on a steel BMX) because it gave me a freedom to go/do what I wanted and visit family as my parents hours didnt allow.

Had an accident at work damaging my spine, so I ride recumbent bike as its a way of getting me out of the house, exercise and sooo much fun, Wish I had discovered them before my accident!

paul04

Über Member
I just cycle because I enjoy it. You can just get on the bike and go where ever you like, does not matter if its 1 or 100 miles.and keeping fit and healthy is a bonus.

markharry66

Über Member
I had an accident a few years ago. I had no car so went to get a bike to ride to work until insurance came in. Never looked back.
Love cycling. For me its not about distance or speed. Although saying that I never want to get off the bike. As for speed I also love to go flat out sometimes. Never thought I would wear any sort of stretchy material either no proud owner of padded shorts. Life is strange

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've loved to cycle as long as I can recall but only got into it seriously when: 1) I realised I wasn't very fit and: 2) I accepted that driving 3 miles to work was a bit silly when I could easily cycle it (believe it or not, this was pointed out to me by a car dealer :ohmy: ).

Since then I've rediscovered a childlike wonder of going to places completely under my own power and have discovered places I would never have gone to at all if the car was the only option.:thumbsup:

ACS

Legendary Member
I cycle because I want to, not because I have to.

Cycling is as important as life itself. To me its not a sport, a money saving activity, a hobby or an eccentric pastime; its a life-style.

On the 9 Apr 09 I decided to get back on my bike as a possible replacement treatment for depression. After 14 years of medication I got my life back. I am physically, mentally and emotionally stronger than I have ever been.

Its not about speed, distance or competition its about personal acheivement.

Alan57

I cycle because I love the freedom of it , also I currently do not run a car ,(costs no other reason). The fact that I am using my energy and power to get somewhere is great and gives that sense of freedom more credence. Also i`m 57 and it gives me pleasure to think that I am still reasonably fit able to get around without a car or relying on public transport and I am not past my sell by date yet .

jude

I have been a member of this site for a while now and can't help noticing the various type of cyclists we have here. Some are obsessed with distance and regard 20 miles as just a walk in the park. Others go for Strava and clock beating. A few are all for hills and stamina. Me? I don't fit in any of them, my age prevents me from it, so I am just a cyclist who has never riden more than 40 miles, has an average speed of about 12.5mph, ride only in dry weather if I can help it and never ride after daylight. Am I in the minority?
I just cycle for the pure pleasure it gives me

defy-one

In no particular order ...

Fun
Rewarding
New friends
Weight loss
Fitness
Stress relief
Mental relaxation
Personal acheivements
And a spring in my step that no car or golf club has been able to replicate.

Top Bottom