Why do you have a Winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I see I a lot of threads that mention 'Winter Bikes', are they just so you don't have to take your nicer bike out in the cold/wet?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's the reason people do give.

Winter bikes are not really needed if you clean your bike as much and as thorough as I do.
ie leisure bike after every ride, commuter once a week.

I really don't understand people who put their 'nice bike' away for the winter.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have a winter bike - but it rarely gets used cause i like riding my best bike so much - so the winter bike is up forsale and the best bike has now been fitted with mudguards, so i get to ride it all year round.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
My winter bike doubles up as my commute bike. Its all kitted out with numerous lights and mudguards. There's no way I'm parking up my best bike at work. Plus it's always nice to get on my best bike, it allows me to appreciate the cost of it as they ride so differently. It's just good to have another bike that gets messed up with no worries. On nice days during winter I'll get my best bike out no problems.

Last edited:

Mr_Garth

Shouldn't any reason to own an extra bike be good? ;)

-Garth

mattobrien

Guru
I bought N+1, so my previous bike became my winter / cold / dark / wet bike.

The previous bike has mudguards and good lights on it. It also has less expensive components, so if the foul weather / grit / grime does cause them to wear out more quickly, they will cost less to replace. It does get cleaned, but time is at a premium sadly, so it is not a full wash down, spit and polish after every ride. I do try to make sure the rims / blocks are cleaned and that nothing will go rusty...

Globalti

Legendary Member
My winter bike is heavier than the summer bike and has mudguards and disc brakes and can take a rack very well. Being a CX bike it handles securely in wet conditions and even on compacted snow. It gets ridden then the salt hosed off and chucked in the garage.

The summer bike on the other hand weighs less and gets pampered to within an inch of its life, I even remove the brake blocks and pick out the grit and I certainly don't ride it in wet conditions.

Surprisingly my overall average speed is only 1 mph slower on the heavier bike.

Top Bottom