Why do you have a Winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I don't have a winter bike as such, but i do have a bike that is better suited to winter riding due to having full guards/rack and disc brakes.
It does get used in summer too though :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don't have a 'winter' bike as such, more a wet weather/crap road conditions bike. That is, it has guards and possibility of rack and rack bag if required. So 'summer' bike is really dry weather/dry roads bike. (No mudguard clearance - not even Cruds). Both have same tyres - Gatorskins, and either may be ridden any time of the year - depending on conditions :thumbsup:

I now have a winter bike.... As the Viking is not really worth selling..... £220 new 18 months ago, 3000 miles, looking very tired so even with sora leavers I put on it's probably only worth £50 (and the person would have to be my height as seat post stuck.... Remember that thread? its still stuck) so better to keep as a spare bike for wet weather or if a problem develops (not that I think that will happen any time soon) with the new bike....

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Ribble that has guards on it all the time which for commuting if it is raining is more practical and I view it as a second/spare bike. I use the carbon bike through the winter as well. The advent of Raceblade longs has mean't that I can use the Carbon bike when riding in a group where guards are mandatory.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's the commuter / light bike / crosser / mtb for me.
the commuter has guards and a rack, i'll use it when it's wet outside throughout the year.
The light bike I take out when it's nice, I'll also do commuting on it.

I don't see the point in putting the 'nice' bike away for winter. There are some perfectly good days still and like others said, a good cleaning and it's not a problem.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Isn't it so you can give your other half a reason to buy another bike.:thumbsup:

Kies

I don't want to use my £1000 defy for commuting/pub/rain/panniers/mudguards.
Just vain I guess,so easier to "need" a commuter/winter bike which cost 300

surfdude

Veteran
i have a road bike i use for most of the summer , a (defy 2) and in the winter i use my mtb a (forme winscar) as it has disc brakes that have much better stopping in the rain . both do get used all year round though as i use them to get to work .

Bodhbh

Guru
From December on, I'll have one bike setup with mudguards, studded tyres, lights, the works, etc. It's a bit OTT, but whatever the weather I can get in. If it's nice I might ride something else.

Dan J B

A Winter Bike is how I justified keeping the Crosstrail to my wife after I bought my Roubaix. Having said that I did ten miles thrash this morning on the Crosstrail through driving rain and grott on the roads and was very glad I was on that particular bike with its Crud Catcher than the other one!

Dan

Top Bottom