Why do you have a Winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I have a fixed that is my commuter all year round, I have a geared bike, a Verenti, which is my summer bike, it gets used all summer as a best bike, leisure rides, club rides and any rides I do for pleasure, when the clocks change at the end of October the Verenti gets put away until the spring and I do all rides on the fixed, the Verenti is too nice for winter riding and the fixed does better in bad weather.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I recently bought a Raleigh Airlite 100 for use as a winter bike.

+1 although mine's now also used as a year-round commuter as well since it's had a carbon fork fitted.

Good luck getting guards on it :tongue: (Race Blades do fit)

beastie

Guru
I don't have a winter bike. I just put a seat post mounted crud guard on my road bike. It's not perfect but it keeps your back and bum from getting soaked and it's easy to put on and take off when needed.
Crud roadracer Mark 2 are the way forward if they fit.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
So far N+1 = 4 , so at least one of those is a winter bike.

Seriously though, my winter bike has lovely mudguards, 25c tyres, and nice heavy bombproof wheels, and I love riding it, and it doesn't mean I have to fish leaves and mud out of the poor clearances every few miles on my 'nice' bike.

BSRU

A Human Being
I put my nice bike away for the winter because it only has a saddle bag and therefore is insufficient to carry my winter needs, plus no mudguards.
My other two commuter bikes have large panniers and full mudguards with one being converted to an ice bike by putting Marathon Winter tyres on.

Ribble 'Audax' as my all-rounder, replacing a (nigh on) 20 year old Dyna-Tech titanium

Full 'guards, as appropriate to an all weather bike, multiple LED lights.

The only regret/concern with it is the inability to fit fatter tyres than the 23sections that are on it, as sometimes I hear small stones scraping the mud-guard brackets as the wheels rotate.

If the weather gets really bad this winter,with deep snow, I'll either;

1. Drag out the old 'yellow bike', a Tange Prestige frame, that has cantilevers & 28 section tyres under the mud-guards.
2. Forget the bike, put a pair of my fell-running shoes on, & get a few more runningr miles in^_^

Top Bottom