Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I view cycling as exercise. If I get passed because I'm dawdling, it serves to wake me up
Me too. Sometimes I just get a bit too comfortable on a ride and if someone passes me it serves as a wake up call. Often they fly past me and then mysteriously slow up a couple of minutes later. Having said that there are some proper fast guys who pass me and then disappear over the horizon, never to be seen again

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You should try going out on a TT bike , every bugger on a road bike wants to wear them self out getting in front of you and then take a breather :rolleyes:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Ha. I was out training in HR zone 2 earlier this year, and kept getting passed. I felt like shouting "Oi! I can go faster than this y'know!" but I didn't. You have to keep it in check.
Jeez. Zone two training is so bloody dull. I keep trying to do it.

As for the other stuff, who cares. Pass, don't pass, just don't sit on my wheel if I don't know you, thankyouplease.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Fair enough. I doubt I would have bothered though, unless the path was particularly narrow

Some people are just weird, though. I once had much the same sentiment expressed to me by a cyclist I was rollerskating behind who was upset he couldn't drop me
Skates are fast. I was overtaken by a couple of rollerbladers in 2010 when I was piling around some nice Nottinhamshire countryside. I wasn't hanging about down that hill but they just glided past me.

byegad

Legendary Member
There
I view cycling as exercise. If I get passed because I'm dawdling, it serves to wake me up

That said, you "shouted a warning"? And then you sat on his wheel? That would probably piss me off too

There's a local rider who bellows 'Hello!' as he gets alongside my right ear every single time he passes me. One day I'll put on a spurt and beat the living daylights out of him. A cough or a brief spoken word is a polite warning you are about to be overtaken but this clown is plain rude!

Hyslop

Veteran
I,of all people, often pass an excitable person on a Pinarello.Once I come upon him,oh yes girls,him,I cant but pass him.Any slower and I would simply fall over.Fed up of the cheek coming from the oaf on the previous occasion,I sneaked up on him,caned it and screamed as I passed "Shut up HIS legs".He must have understood because the torrent of naughty words was just awful^_^.Amused me quite a lot though,so now the game is on.If he is on here,keep your eye out,Im behind you:boxing:

speccy1

A few years ago when I started my commute to work, across the moors, I began to overtake the same guy every day in more or less the same place, and it got to the point where I would sit behind him because I was certain he hated my guts and didn`t want to upset him any more. Then a few days after I didn`t have time for hanging around so I did overtake, and he shouted "MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD DOES IT??"

Didn`t see him again, must have changed his route, oooooppps!

wxbull

You live in Hereford, or you were just visiting?
I live in Hereford, great place to cycle once you are a mile out of town :smile:

And it never bothers me who passes me, but if they do slow down after passing they will be passed back. Have never had any verbals or dirties over it though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As someone above has mentioned, if you've been dawdling, a pass is a bit of a wake-up, so there's a natural tendency to speed up, and then you end up catching them up. You then get the aerodynamic benefit and end up re-passing as they are seemingly ridiculously slow, but once you've passed, embarrassingly enough, your speed drops and it looks like you're just being a cock.

In any case, it's rude to pass a lady, especially if she's got a nice arse.

Top Bottom