Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Being over taken is fine , its when youre overtaken and then the person slows down in front of you because they wore themselves out trying to pass you .

It's not that they wore themselves out passing, but that it's (a lot) more work at the front, and conversely a lot less work for you (now) at the back.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Being over taken is fine , its when youre overtaken and then the person slows down in front of you because they wore themselves out trying to pass you .

That`s what it was like today, once I caught him I had to pass as he was going so slow but then he immediately jumped past me and ran out of steam equally immediately, leaving me with no option to pass him again or stall lol. I only did it for badness a third time :smile:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
There's only two people who pass me. One is just amazing when it comes to traffic and always gets me at some point here or there...on a hybrid as well...and sometimes rides with no hands, just to show off. I can hold my own with him once I'm through traffic, but I let him stay ahead because he's fast enough anyway and I can't be bothered with the back and forth...

Another guy though, I don't even bother with. He looks like he's making no effort at all but goes like the clappers. Always so polite too...says good morning or good evening on each occasion...blatantly showing off...I can hold pace if I pile it on, but if it's any day that's not a Friday, I can't be bothered or my legs are mashed for the week.

I pass plenty of others though and I'm sorry to say that if I even catch a glimpse of another cyclist, I have to pass them...it becomes a mission. I don't get re-taken...I tend to go hard after taking someone...once a week, I attend small-penis's anonymous...it's a great support group...it really is.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If I've been overtaken by someone who then slows down I used to wheelsuck em for a good ten minutes or so, get my breath back and wait for a good spot to drop em then get my cadence up and steam past, then I grew up got older and stopped doing it. It is annoying when someone just has to overtake though.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It's not that they wore themselves out passing, but that it's (a lot) more work at the front, and conversely a lot less work for you (now) at the back.
But youre already at the front and keeping your speed . Then some nobber jumps in front and slows down so you have to re pass to keep your speed .
Then the nobber that passed you actually thinks you are playing the same game that they have made up and does it again . Its like having an annoying wasp buzzing you but unlike a wasp you cant slap it to the ground and stamp it dead ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But youre already at the front and keeping your speed . Then some nobber jumps in front and slows down so you have to re pass to keep your speed .
Then the nobber that passed you actually thinks you are playing the same game that they have made up and does it again . Its like having an annoying wasp buzzing you but unlike a wasp you cant slap it to the ground and stamp it dead ^_^

ah, but are you keeping the same speed? I put it to you, that you're actually putting in the same effort, and so is the passer. You speed up as it's now a bit easier at the back - but the bugger who's just passed you has unaccountably slowed down, as he's now struggling to keep the same speed up - because he's now in front.

Of course, there is the trying too hard and blowing a gasket aspect as well.

matiz

Guru
It depends what I'm riding I don't care who passes me on my mtb but if I'm on my road bike I don't like MTBs taking liberty's

Reactions: 4F

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It depends what I'm riding I don't care who passes me on my mtb but if I'm on my road bike I don't like MTBs taking liberty's

yes, there is that. Trouble is the MTBers often have 25 years advantage too - and it must be admitted I've not trained diligently for all those extra 25 years either.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
ah, but are you keeping the same speed? I put it to you, that you're actually putting in the same effort, and so is the passer. You speed up as it's now a bit easier at the back - but the bugger who's just passed you has unaccountably slowed down, as he's now struggling to keep the same speed up - because he's now in front.

Of course, there is the trying too hard and blowing a gasket aspect as well.
To be fair the only time I get a tiny bit hassled by it is if I'm on the tt bike . I'm new to it and want to be 100% focused on what I am doing . The only things I look at are the my surroundings for riding and my Garmin . If I get passed I go wide from their wheel as I have no interest in getting any help . This brings on another problem as the nobber now thinks I am trying to pass but im not doing it at speed so they think they will keep on the pressure leaving me in the middle of the road (or in the case of the three nobbers in Richmond park that did this after a downhill and then decided to fan out and have a chat ) on the wrong side of the road .
I'm quite lucky as my local park for training is a loop so if it gets too annoying I can just turn round and go the other way .

Cyrill666

I'm quite lucky here, there are lots of route options. If I see someone ahead I tend to alter my route rather than overtake. I think I might be antisocial!

sackville d

Veteran
I passed a guy last year huffing and puffing up a hill,(I am no speedster just a couple of mph faster than him) as i went past I politely said hello and got the response of "f**k off" , I rode on with truly no answer to that one.
Bloody `ell @DiddlyDodds , that's appalling behavior.
Can you imagine walking around on the tops ,greeting a fellow walker and being subjected to that??? You would think the fellow had just escaped from a rubber room!

Any idea which side of the border he came from? I`m hoping your going to say *From that Greater Manchester.* but I am prepared for a big disappointment..

Hip Priest

Veteran

I'm not sure about that. Sure it's easier if you're on someone's wheel, but if you've been gaining on someone for a while that's nothing to do with drafting.

Nobody should be riding on the wheel of a stranger anyway.

Top Bottom