Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think what goes on is they see you/me as a target to achieve and once they are past do not have that 'target' anymore so they slow down.
With me it didn't help that at 6am to 7am (which is when it used to happen a lot) I would be on my way home after a 12 hour shift so I was pretty 'tired' to say the least.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm still in bed.;)

So am I, but I like a bit of sillyness sometimes!

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
The common consensus is that you shouldn`t sit on the wheel of someone you don`t know. But what would have been the etiquette in my scenario. I caught this guy over about 500m really quickly (bear in mind I am on super-chunky MTB tyres and he is on 700`s) so thought i`ll just pass him and go on my way. If he immediately passes me again and slows down , do I have to stop and get off for a while so I don`t end up sitting on his wheel? I reckon I could`ve jumped off the bike and ran passed him on the footpath, that would`ve really pissed him off lol

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I was going to cycle in to town this morning, but it's raining and I can't be arsed getting wet. Will have another cuppa and then drive in.
Oh! The joys of retirement! ^_^

ScotiaLass

Guru
I passed a guy last year huffing and puffing up a hill,(I am no speedster just a couple of mph faster than him) as i went past I politely said hello and got the response of "f**k off" , I rode on with truly no answer to that one.
:ohmy:
There's an older chap, maybe late 60's, who passes me cheerily on the hill up to our village.
He is always smiling and always says good morning as he whizzes past me.
I usually manage to wheeze hello back or if I can't talk, I hold a hand up in acknowledgment :laugh:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The common consensus is that you shouldn`t sit on the wheel of someone you don`t know. But what would have been the etiquette in my scenario. I caught this guy over about 500m really quickly (bear in mind I am on super-chunky MTB tyres and he is on 700`s) so thought i`ll just pass him and go on my way. If he immediately passes me again and slows down , do I have to stop and get off for a while so I don`t end up sitting on his wheel? I reckon I could`ve jumped off the bike and ran passed him on the footpath, that would`ve really pissed him off lol
Always carry a cap and a pipe, as you approach your cyclist pop the pipe between your teeth and the cap on your head. As you pass your new friend remove the pipe from between your teeth, point it at your buddy and greet them with a hearty "Good Day to you!". Repeat this each time you have to overtake, they will soon give up the chase, it's a method I use and it has never failed yet.
The look you are going for should be something along these lines;
pipe.jpg

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Any idea which side of the border he came from? I`m hoping your going to say *From that Greater Manchester.* but I am prepared for a big disappointment..

I for one have never accepted that Greater Manchester rubbish, as far as I am concerned I still live in Lancashire and it was a Yorkshire bloke who was the grumpy sod

vickster

Legendary Member
I was going to cycle in to town this morning, but it's raining and I can't be arsed getting wet. Will have another cuppa and then drive in.
Oh! The joys of retirement! ^_^
You don't need to be retired to be dossing around today ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
There's fun to be had here if you play the game slightly differently.

The first hint of sunshine and the country roads.round here are heaving with roadies and TT boys who are otherwise afraid to ride in the wet or cold.

I I often encounter them while on my commute, and this is where the fun starts.

Any good rider will have full 360 degree awareness and will note these mobile sponsors billboards coming up behind (it always amazes me when helmet cam footage shows riders blasting across junctions with the head not turning left or right or looking behind, but that's another story).

Once you're aware they're behind you keep a.discrete tab on where they are. It's inevitable that once they spot you they'll put on a spurt to catch you up and take you. Let them expend their energy and just as they get 20 or so feet from you open up the taps. You'll have fresh legs and lungs, so even on a less than optimum sportive bike with lights, guards and rucksack I usually have no difficulty keeping them at bay. I'm a good climber, at least over short to intermediate distances, so if I can time it coming up to an incline then So much the better.

It's much more fun, so much more subtle, and three times more annoying than waiting until they've passed and then hauling them back in a fit of pique.

sackville d

Veteran
@sackville d

Oh yeah, sorry about that, everything that could go wrong had gone wrong that day and you just caught me at a particularly bad moment because, as it happened, I had suddenly realised I had yet another puncture, the fourth that day at exactly the same time that you passed and my exclamation was actually aimed at that, not you! :rolleyes::blush::laugh:

So you hadn`t just escaped from a rubber room then? Hhhmmmmm....Okay then.

Top Bottom