Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The other day I was zooming along at my usual pootle-factor-4, when I was overtaken by two lads one on a hybrid one on an MTB, neither in cycling gear, obviously giving it all they had. Yes I was a bit miffed at first. I fully admit it. Me, a Proper Cyclist and all that. But they I thought ... they're younger than me, and for all I know may be super fit athletes. And I'm going further than them. Still, I have to admit that I put a bit more effort than usual on the next hill so they couldn't get too far away. I caught up with them at the lights in the next village, but then got sidetracked by a photo stop so I don't know what happened to them.

G3CWI

Veteran
then got sidetracked by a photo stop

Excellent idea!

The other day I was zooming along at my usual pootle-factor-4, when I was overtaken by two lads one on a hybrid one on an MTB, neither in cycling gear, obviously giving it all they had. Yes I was a bit miffed at first. I fully admit it. Me, a Proper Cyclist and all that. But they I thought ... they're younger than me, and for all I know may be super fit athletes. And I'm going further than them. Still, I have to admit that I put a bit more effort than usual on the next hill so they couldn't get too far away. I caught up with them at the lights in the next village, but then got sidetracked by a photo stop so I don't know what happened to them.

You need to take a deep breath, when it happens. Just keep doing what you're doing, I find I'll catch and pass most of this lot, without having to exert any extra effort anyway, if not, so what, life's too short.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Sounds like the two I encountered once. One on an MTB, one on a hybrid, I'd about caught up to them when they looked round and then gave it everything. I really could not be bothered with this crap, so I just carried on at my own pace. The MTB cracked on the hill that was round the corner, the hybrid had got a bit further down the road, and he looked completely knackered when I passed him a quarter mile later. "Nice day eh?" :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Left work one night, I thought I'll get a few extra miles in. Another guy, a bit of a Rambo type was leaving as well, we rode out side by side, chatting. I sensed everytime I got in front a bit, he'd push and get his wheel in front, he was trying you could tell.
After about a mile he said...'phhew, can you feel the burn'. I assumed(correctly) his legs were now feeling it.
'Hell no, ive got another 10 to do yet, I'm just out for a quickie tonight'

His face dropped...and he veered off down a sidestreet...without saying another word.

I dont think he liked it.

If he met me now, the boot may well be on the other foot.

MikeW-71

Veteran
To balance it out, I was heading to Armathwaite on my CX to get in practice for my first tour, spotted another rider up ahead, and (as I often do :shy:) I see if I can catch them. If I do catch up and I can hold my pace, then I'll pass, otherwise I'll hang back while I get my breath back. Caught the rider up after a couple of miles, just as she looked round !

"How long have you been there?"
"Not long, I've just got here."

We had a nice chat about touring and plans for the summer (she was off to Holland again) before she turned off at the caravan site. :thumbsup:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
To balance it out, I was heading to Armathwaite on my CX to get in practice for my first tour, spotted another rider up ahead, and (as I often do :shy:) I see if I can catch them. If I do catch up and I can hold my pace, then I'll pass, otherwise I'll hang back while I get my breath back. Caught the rider up after a couple of miles, just as she looked round !

"How long have you been there?"
"Not long, I've just got here."

We had a nice chat about touring and plans for the summer (she was off to Holland again) before she turned off at the caravan site. :thumbsup:
Chasing girls doesn't count .

BigAl68

Über Member
I passed a few people yesterday but wasn't passed by a single person. Nothing to do with my speed I would think and more to do with the foul weather and there not being many people out. Today I expect to be passed on numerous occasions as I hope to do a 100 km. I don't let faster or fitter people passing me bother me to be honest. I just love being out on the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom