Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sackville d

Veteran
Looking at your avatar, that's a bit rich coming from you? :whistle:
I like a nice jet-pack you know.

View: https://youtu.be/G5ZhBAylbN4

Hyslop

Veteran
Always carry a cap and a pipe, as you approach your cyclist pop the pipe between your teeth and the cap on your head. As you pass your new friend remove the pipe from between your teeth, point it at your buddy and greet them with a hearty "Good Day to you!". Repeat this each time you have to overtake, they will soon give up the chase, it's a method I use and it has never failed yet.
The look you are going for should be something along these lines;
View attachment 84552
:laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Told this one some time ago, but..
On my roadbike, passed a guy and woman on a hill, they were on what looked like good hybrids, tall, skinny tyres etc etc...never gave it a thought.

About TWO OR THREE MILES later, i became aware someone was on my wheel...i wasn't slacking, i wasnt giving it beans, just going at a fair pace. It was the guy on the hybrid...he'd given chase and was giving it beans to get past me, which he did...then slowed and turned back whence he came, red faced and puffing.
His poor wife :laugh:.

I can only assume he was wearing a smug grin in his mind, he got me...i thought, yeah, ok mate :headshake:

Steady

Über Member
I rarely over take people ;)

So, on the other end of being overtaken for me just wakes me up from the lull I've gotten into. I won't try to overtake or anything like that, but I will try to hold on for a while and not back wheel/drafting hold on, but just in line of sight hold on!

As a solo-rider it makes me push in places I otherwise wouldn't.

rebelpeter

You meet them all out biking i get passed often but when ur 78 you expect some 30 yr old to ride far faster than you, young legs vs old legs are no match. Im just thankful to be riding quite fast at my age still but i don,t expect to keep up with guys half my age and less...

Went out for a wee tootle today and as I progressed, I saw another lone figure in front of me. I wasn`t worried about catching him but did so very quickly indeed. So, I shouted a warning and passed him. However, almost before I had pulled in again, I heard the click of gears and he immediately passed me again!

Now, was he upset because I had passed his shiny all singing/dancing machine on my grubby £150 MTB that I use in the winter?

I sat on his wheel for a bit and passed him again only for the same thing to happen. I decided to do the same again because I thought it would be a laugh but as he passed me a third time, he growled "you`re beginning to p*ss me off". So the fourth time I passed him, I dropped him!

Some people really don't like being passed, it makes no logical sense, but if a passee starts being a cock, you should orbit them repeatedly, until you get bored, then disappear into the distance.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Rule #38
// Don’t Play Leap Frog.
Train Properly: if you get passed by someone, it is nothing personal, just accept that on the day/effort/ride they were stronger than you. If you can’t deal, work harder. But don’t go playing leap frog to get in front only to be taken over again (multiple times) because you can’t keep up the pace. Especially don’t do this just because the person overtaking you is a woman. Seriously. Get over it.

They do it in cars too. I drive a Skoda, and some people (usually those in Audis, BMWs or Mercs) just can't stand being overtaken by an "inferior" car. I was on cruise control up the motorway at 70, went past this BMW who was doing about 65 and pulled back in. 30 seconds later he's overtaking me, pulls back in and slows down to 65 again. So I pass him again etc. The third time he passes, he accelerates way up the road. 10 minutes later I cruise past him again. :laugh:

We are far too polite to just overtake, our method is to draw alongside, say hello, keep pace and start a conversation, at some point one of us will turn off, or at the worst we will say words to the effect, "nice to meet you" or "enjoy your ride" and slowly pull away. Mostly it is the other way round though, plenty of wannabe's see the a slight female figure on a pink bike and want to show how macho they are. It usually ends in tears.

Oldbloke

Guru
I was out riding with my neighbour on road bikes, after around 50 kms we saw a rider in front on an MTB.

As we passed him, he sped up and half wheeled me, and stayed there. I eased off to be alongside him for a chat but every time he dropped back to continue half wheeling. This went on for 10 kms or so, I tried calling out to him that he was going well.

He was purple faced and breathing heavily...I wasn't sure if it was lack of breath or my best Essex French but he didn't say a word the whole time, just flapped his hand when he eventually turned off.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom