Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I was toodling along at my usual 10-11 mph just coming out of Bridge of Weir on Route 75 when I saw a cyclist behind me, I moved to the side to let them by then all hell let loose, the wanabee 'Cav' sprint powered past me and when he reached the bridge about 100m in front of me, flung his arms up and waved them about and looked back...
I met him further up the track where he had stopped, I mockingly asked him 'WTF was that all about?' he just ignored me and cycled away..

BigAl68

Über Member
Did the century earlier. Had a racing snake pass me after about 15km after that I wasn't passed once. Maybe I am getting faster after all. Loved my last two days on the bike.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I've just spent part of my life reading the 7 pages in this thread trying to understand the reason the OP let the guy overtake him back in the first place... Had he overtaken with conviction there is no issue here :okay:

As the OP, I didnt expect the guy to pass me the first time as he was originally going so slow - bear in mind, he had started to re-pass me before I had time to finish my passing. I had kinda guessed there and then what he was up too so I played leap-frog a couple of times before eventually disappearing into the distance. He did shout something but i didnt hear it lol

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did the century earlier. Had a racing snake pass me after about 15km after that I wasn't passed once. Maybe I am getting faster after all. Loved my last two days on the bike.
OT a bit but last year I rode from London to Coventry and - apart from a couple of riders on the A5 in London early morning - I didn't see a single cyclist going my way - either overtaking me or being overtaken - and yet I saw tons coming the other way. Just chance I suppose.

I was toodling along at my usual 10-11 mph just coming out of Bridge of Weir on Route 75 when I saw a cyclist behind me, I moved to the side to let them by then all hell let loose, the wanabee 'Cav' sprint powered past me and when he reached the bridge about 100m in front of me, flung his arms up and waved them about and looked back...
I met him further up the track where he had stopped, I mockingly asked him 'WTF was that all about?' he just ignored me and cycled away..

He probably thought you were a threat to his Strava segment time. He's now 1356th.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Was it, 'Excuse me, you dropped your wallet back there'?
I was behind a guy at the lights a few years ago on my old pub bike . He stood up to start pedalling and his wallet fell out of his pocket . I picked it up and gave chase but he was on a road bike and flying .
By the time I finally gained on him I was a gibbering dribbling mess and couldn't speak so I just waved his wallet at him as I passed and dribbled . He was trying to talk to me and thank me but I just wanted him to go away so I could die in peace :laugh:

sheffgirl

True, men do not like to be passed by a woman, specially not by one on a heavy hybrid.
One guy I'd passed on a little incline promptly passed me again on the flat, shouting "it's only hills I can't dooo!"
I passed a man on a bike going uphill (which is good for me lol), on the descent he passed me, and called out 'sorry but I'm faster on downhills'. I'm not sure that is something to be proud of!

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
He probably thought you were a threat to his Strava segment time. He's now 1356th.
Funnily I use Strava (I'm always the bloke at the butt end of the times)...
I also use Strava Plus (or whatever it is called now) and checked Flyby and nope, the wanabee 'Cav' wasn't there..
in another 'funny', I got passed on a Cat 4 by a bloke who commented 'I think you should give that jersey to me!',(I have a TdF KOM top, I'm 19 st:ohmy:) and about 200 m up the road? here is said bloke stopped and blowing out his erse whilst da Bawb slowly passes him....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I also use Strava Plus (or whatever it is called now) and checked Flyby and nope, the wanabee 'Cav' wasn't there..
in another 'funny', I got passed on a Cat 4 by a bloke who commented 'I think you should give that jersey to me!',(I have a TdF KOM top, I'm 19 st:ohmy:) and about 200 m up the road? here is said bloke stopped and blowing out his erse whilst da Bawb slowly passes him....

To which you said on passing

'Nah, its alright'

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

What is Flyby, is that part of Strava Premium?

J1888

Über Member
I don't mind at all - I ride a hybrid so that's my excuse when someone on a road bike whizzes past! Happens less and less as you get fitter though.

What does wind me up is when I pass someone and then reach one of the 10,000 sets of lights on Wandsworth Road a little while after. I wait patiently on red as they glide straight through and then I have to go through the routine again - pass, ride, wait, repeat.

Dunno why it's annoying...probably because I loathe RLJers

Top Bottom