Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I don't like being passed :blush: I assume it's my chimp worrying that the other chimp will get to the fruit tree before me.

Im bizzarely completely the opposite, see a cyclist in the distance and ease off, see a cyclist behind me and slow down...I know I am incredibly slow and loads of people pass me every day (the humiliation of all humiliations, a teenager on his bmx....riding with no hands, will never forget that one :shy:) so to make me feel better I stop to take a photo of the scenery if there is a hint of someone gaining on me

Sad, I know :sad:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Don't care about being passed and you can wheel suck me, if you can go that slow.......but............when I am rapidly expiring on any sort of incline a cheery greeting with a few words of encouragement makes me want to slash your tyres. As for those that decide to pace you and chat, the only reason you don't receive a torrent of abuse followed by being beaten to within an inch of your life is that I'm too knackered.

stephec

Legendary Member
Funnily I use Strava (I'm always the bloke at the butt end of the times)...
I also use Strava Plus (or whatever it is called now) and checked Flyby and nope, the wanabee 'Cav' wasn't there..
in another 'funny', I got passed on a Cat 4 by a bloke who commented 'I think you should give that jersey to me!',(I have a TdF KOM top, I'm 19 st:ohmy:) and about 200 m up the road? here is said bloke stopped and blowing out his erse whilst da Bawb slowly passes him....

Did you shout out, "tortoise and the hare mate, tortoise and the hare?" :smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if someone overtakes me on the commute i couldn't give a tinker's cuss, as i'm just trying to get to work from 30km away and still be in a good enough condition to do a day's work.

if someone goes past during a club ride, so what? that said, i was out yesterday and was easily ahead going up a short, sharp little climb. the club captain (who, for some reason, was not riding with the fast group) then went all out to get to the top first. i thought that was a bit petty, so i joined in a sprint up the next similar climb and beat him by a tyre width. i don't know if he was swearing at me, or the other chap who beat both of us…

often it's just about who's better on the terrain. i did the wild wales challenge some years ago, and the last leg is the road alongside bala lake, which is essentially flat with slight undulations. i passed a girl who was, like me, on her knees after the rest of the ride. as soon as the road rose up half a degree, she overtook (being a lighter package of rider and bike), whereas i was back in front once the road flattened out. this carried on for a while, and far from either of us getting irritated by it, we found it slightly amusing…

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When others pass me, I always look to see how old they look. Most of the time, they are younger so I don't mind as age plays a big part in your fitness and stamina. If, on the other hand, they look about my age or older, then I still don't mind as they must be fitter than me , says I to me. Frankly, I couldn't care less if I get passed. Sometimes I try to stay with them , just to see, but most of the time, I just carry on at my own pace.

Simontm

Veteran
I have a weird tendency to wear shorts, trainers and hooded tops at the weekend so I get many a weekend wheeler suddenly trying to overtake me after I pass - I'm designed for short sprints nothing else really being a big lump so it amuses.

Saying that, I wrote this a few weeks ago:
"Ride marginally marred by a group of Kingston Wheelers. Fine overtake, you're going faster but don't overtake as if I am part of a bloody race, leave me some space. You have no idea how I cycle, I could veer out at the slightest hint of a pothole! Also. Last p...idiot In your peloton? Don't yell "yahoo" in my ear as you pass. Bloody rude.

So I did what most insane people with a split gear cable and only one working cog would do... I kept in sight of them, then overtook them on a sprint start at the lights :whistle:^_^"

Honestly it was the closeness of the pass and the idiot shouting in the ear that made me do that! ^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
I had this topic in mind today on my ride and said hello to every person I saw, everyone responded nicely, maybe the sun being out had something to do with it.

sheffgirl

Im bizzarely completely the opposite, see a cyclist in the distance and ease off, see a cyclist behind me and slow down...I know I am incredibly slow and loads of people pass me every day (the humiliation of all humiliations, a teenager on his bmx....riding with no hands, will never forget that one :shy:) so to make me feel better I stop to take a photo of the scenery if there is a hint of someone gaining on me

Sad, I know :sad:
I remember being passed by someone doing a wheelie on a quiet back road, he managed to keep it going for some time, just casually riding along on one wheel, I was quite amused :smile:

Top Bottom