Why have Giant designed the Defy like this ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I really like the bike but in my (seemingly) never ending quest for comfort I decided to fit an adjustable stem.
Cant be done!!
Apparently the head set on this model is 1 1/4" whereas every other model & manufacturer has 1 1/8" (might be other way round). I am told that no one makes an adjustable stem that size......not even Giant.
There may be a good reason but it seems b****y stupid to me.
But I stand to be corrected.:blush:

Drago

Legendary Member
They'll doubtless argue its done to make a more rigid steerer without adding weight.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
standards.png

I will check that out.....many thanks.
The Giant Defy has oversized bars ((centre is very big) so that part has to be right as well.
Where does it say it will fit 1 1/4" ?

It doesn't on the link it takes me to. It says steerer diameter 28.6 cm which is 1 1/8".

Clamp diameter is where the stem meets the handlebar.

si_c

Guru
I will check that out.....many thanks.
The Giant Defy has oversized bars ((centre is very big) so that part has to be right as well.
Where does it say it will fit 1 1/4" ?
Just double checked it, and I think it may be the handlebar dimension that is 1 1/4", rather than the steerer tube OD, it doesn't say, which leads me to think it might be the case, so no use to you unfortunately, sorry.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Giant Defy has an 'Overdrive 2' tapered steerer tube (1 1/4" (31.7mm) top and 1 1/2" bottom bearings). The top dimension is what the adjustable stem needs to fit (and have a 1 1/4" clamp for the bars).
The link offered by @si_c has the following spec:
Adjustable angle stem:
  • Clamp diameter: 31.7 mm.
  • Steerer: 28.6mm.
So no use, as @si_c subsequently says.
Think you'll not find this spec adjustable angle stem @Dave7
If there are not enough of these O/S steerers there's not sufficient market for them, perhaps.
Why don't you ask Giant and see how they respond?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The Giant Defy has an 'Overdrive 2' tapered steerer tube (1 1/4" (31.7mm) top and 1 1/2" bottom bearings). The top dimension is what the adjustable stem needs to fit (and have a 1 1/4" clamp for the bars).
The link offered by @si_c has the following spec:
Adjustable angle stem:
  • Clamp diameter: 31.7 mm.
  • Steerer: 28.6mm.
So no use, as @si_c subsequently says.
Think you'll not find this spec adjustable angle stem @Dave7
If there are not enough of these O/S steerers there's not sufficient market for them, perhaps.
Why don't you ask Giant and see how they respond?
I will do that out of interest even if it is no help to me or others with this problem.

Top Bottom