Why I hate RLJ, pavement cyclists etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
nethalus said:
Aye it's like sometime ago Jeremy Clarkson suggested that Bus drivers are "jumped up little hitler B******ds that need shooting in the face!" Now one would hope that no one took Clarkson's words seriously. Bus drivers going about their daily business, being of no harm to anyone else, have been shot or shot at by mindless evil thugs, they have also been stabbed, punched and verbally threatened. Clarkson also said some rather derogartory things about cyclists, including the suggestion of running them over if they use those little cycle boxes at traffic lights to go in front of him, which just proves what an ignorant, selfish, narrow minded prat he really is. I would not take his coments any more seriously than what I took the coments on blood bus. It was someone saying something outrageous in order to cause shock and provoke others to get into a slanging match with them.

Clarkson does call allsorts of people doesnt he,but i would see it as the intentioned way it was meant,a joke.Even after one of our drivers was attacked with a samurai sword a few weeks ago,i didnt for one second use that as an excuse to have a go at him for being stupid.Jokes are jokes,some find them funny,some dont.

Tetedelacourse

nethalus said:
Aye it's like sometime ago Jeremy Clarkson suggested that Bus drivers are "jumped up little hitler B******ds that need shooting in the face!" Now one would hope that no one took Clarkson's words seriously. Bus drivers going about their daily business, being of no harm to anyone else, have been shot or shot at by mindless evil thugs, they have also been stabbed, punched and verbally threatened. Clarkson also said some rather derogartory things about cyclists, including the suggestion of running them over if they use those little cycle boxes at traffic lights to go in front of him, which just proves what an ignorant, selfish, narrow minded prat he really is. I would not take his coments any more seriously than what I took the coments on blood bus. It was someone saying something outrageous in order to cause shock and provoke others to get into a slanging match with them.

So you appraised the other member in the same terms, but didn't say so. Oh well that's all right. I would not have had a problem with your position and lack of action if you had not been actively involved in a direct discussion with the bloke. Let's face it, Cab has not been able to condemn every thing that he disagrees with on this forum as there's too much going on. But the fact that you casually responded to the comments in question makes it extremely difficult to value anything you have to say.

Like it or not, in an internet forum you will be judged by what you say (there's not a whole lot else to go on).

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
What, join a forum where that kind of behaviour is acceptable? No thank you.

But its acceptable to go and read whats on the forum,then try to get others to say something about what you dislike?:biggrin:

nethalus

col said:
Clarkson does call allsorts of people doesnt he,but i would see it as the intentioned way it was meant,a joke.Even after one of our drivers was attacked with a samurai sword a few weeks ago,i didnt for one second use that as an excuse to have a go at him for being stupid.Jokes are jokes,some find them funny,some dont.

I wasn't suggesting that people actually went out and shot bus drivers becaue of what Clarkson said. I was using him as an example (in this case in a well known tabloid) that people say outrageous, even offensive things purely for their shock value.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
:biggrin:

I take it he was ok? What happened?

It was a lady driver,waiting her time on an estate terminus.Some guy,for reasons unknown,left the bus after travelling with it,then returned with a sword,and took a stab at her,she dodged it just,then he took off,its all on disk as far as i know.I was talking to one of her friends last night ,while i was working,and she said she is off work,still a nervous wreck.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

A question for bus drivers: do you get put under pressure to keep to a timetable and do you think that could contribute to bad driving by some drivers?

I'm just curious about how much pressure drivers are pit under by bus companies. I expect that this could vary from company to company and could be a reason why one companies drivers could be worse than others. Just a thought....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
It was a lady driver,waiting her time on an estate terminus.Some guy,for reasons unknown,left the bus after travelling with it,then returned with a sword,and took a stab at her,she dodged it just,then he took off,its all on disk as far as i know.I was talking to one of her friends last night ,while i was working,and she said she is off work,still a nervous wreck.

Understandable! I hope they catch him. Sounds like a right nutter:ohmy:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I admire how bus drivers deal with the public, because there are some right twunts out there.

Tetedelacourse

col said:

How do you dodge a samurai sword? In a bus? In the cab?

!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
nethalus said:
I wasn't suggesting that people actually went out and shot bus drivers becaue of what Clarkson said. I was using him as an example (in this case in a well known tabloid) that people say outrageous, even offensive things purely for their shock value.

I know, i was just pointing out that i wouldnt use him as a scapegoat,because of something bad happening in one of the jobs he jokes about.:biggrin:

nethalus

magnatom said:
A question for bus drivers: do you get put under pressure to keep to a timetable and do you think that could contribute to bad driving by some drivers?

I'm just curious about how much pressure drivers are pit under by bus companies. I expect that this could vary from company to company and could be a reason why one companies drivers could be worse than others. Just a thought....

While I think must bus companies would like buses to run on time, they accept that due to traffic, roadworks, awkward passengers etc there are going to be delays. So drivers aren't so much preasured over being late. It's actually the opposite that they take a dim view of. Running early is a serious disciplinary offence, and drivers can and have been sacked for it.

col

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:

!!!!!!!!!

A sideways movement normaly does the trick;) there is some room for movement, even in the smallest cabs.

If i found myself in a similar spot,i think i would find somewhere to go,even a small window wouldnt stop me getting out of the way.:biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
magnatom said:
:biggrin:

I take it he was ok? What happened?

Its happening a lot. The ‘Samurai sword’ has become a weapon of choice. Psychologically its got power, but it hasn’t got the penalties of a handgun.

Ignore the facts that in most situations they’re unwieldy and as most are made of stainless steel they’re as dangerous to whoever tries to cut something (too brittle they snap and fly apart)

In November the ‘Samurai Sword’ is going to be specifically named on the offensive weapons act. Despite the fact that theirs not really a specific ‘samurai sword’. What do they mean? Katana? Wakazishi? Daisho? Etc. Add into the equation the fact you’ll still be able to buy Claymores, sabres, rapiers, Klingon ‘Bak’leths’ and such as the Claws that were used in ‘Chronicles of Riddick’.

What they actually needed was more enforcement of current laws. The one that says its illegal to carry a fixed blade of more than 3” in public. There ‘Samurai swords’ are already illegal.

Usually better to move forward/in, if you can’t leg it

nethalus

col said:
A sideways movement normaly does the trick;) there is some room for movement, even in the smallest cabs.

If i found myself in a similar spot,i think i would find somewhere to go,even a small window wouldnt stop me getting out of the way.:biggrin:

Or do what a bus driver in Wakefield did, a bloke was threatening him with a knife, so he accelerated the bus up to about 30mph then stopped it on the hand break (which on buses is either on or off with no inbetween). The knifeman was thrown into the windscreen and broke his neck. The police said the bus driver was acting in self defence, which he was.

Top Bottom