Why is Brewdog IPA such a good beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in a minority clearly but I think it tastes really foul, all hops and nothing else, although that's very much the fashion right now isn't it. There's loads of beers that parrot this new American/ West Coast IPA style, all tasting of grapefruit peel and flowers, or something.
I'm also not keen on Brewdog's "tiny independent, just a couple of lads, sticking it to the man and the big brewers" schtick... it might have been true once but they're a very, very big, corporate brewery these days.

But to each his own, I'm glad if you like it!
Agree with you about the bizarre fashion for fruitiness. At least spoons describes its beers -any hint of fruit* and i usually swerve.
* Cider is allowed, the stronger the better.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Oddly enough I enjoyed a post work Brewdog Pale Ale this evening with my dinner, and I have a couple of cans of Punk IPA in the fridge.

My observations however, it's nice as a once a week or occasional drink, nice flavour but it can feel harsh when compared with the following which I enjoy a bit more:

Golden Sheep Ale
Bath Ales Wild Hare
Badger Hopping Hare

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Punk IPA is a good beer but not a great one. But what makes a great beer?
Fact is there’s such a choice out there, something for everyone. My taste has also changed with time towards a lighter hoppier beer than the heavier favourites of old.
From Brewdog I prefer Hazy Jane to Punk IPA.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Punk IPA is a good beer but not a great one. But what makes a great beer?
Fact is there’s such a choice out there, something for everyone. My taste has also changed with time towards a lighter hoppier beer than the heavier favourites of old.
From Brewdog I prefer Hazy Jane to Punk IPA.
Nah still on the dark malty stuff here (when I go out that is) in fact I'd sooner drink a Mild. My favourite used to be M&B 'Flying Stag' with a bottle of Worthington 'White Shield' poured in when you got halfway down the pint.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ugh no. I can't drink those heavy sticky beers. Fuller's London Pride is one and it's usually served warm and flat.

Theakston's Old Peculiar gives me a very rapid evacuation the next morning, I think it's the pectin.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I will take a Ghostship over a Punk IPA any day.
Plus you get 500ml for the same price as 330ml.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ugh no. I can't drink those heavy sticky beers. Fuller's London Pride is one and it's usually served warm and flat.

Theakston's Old Peculiar gives me a very rapid evacuation the next morning, I think it's the pectin.
One of the best things about drinking it, that's why we used to go to work on Saturday mornings nothing like disappearing to the bog for a quarter of an hour on overtime just after you got to work plus none of the Office staff would be there so if you'd been beaten to the workshop loo you could just use the posh ones. :becool:

Brads

Horrible stuff, as is most IPA nowadays. Most are trying to be too fruity to suit the artisan beer snobs.

McEwans was great but the new stuff is another fruity pile of poo.

Joker is the best around atm I reckon, but still, too fruity for a proper IPA

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Punk IPA was great when it first came out as it was difficult to find that kind of US-style pale ale in the UK at the time.

Brewing has moved on though and Brewdog hasn't kept up - their focus seems to be entirely on growing their business rather than on improving their beer. Watt and Dickie are great businessmen, but average brewers.

Thankfully, it's easy to find much better stuff these days.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Punk IPA was great when it first came out as it was difficult to find that kind of US-style pale ale in the UK at the time.

Brewing has moved on though and Brewdog hasn't kept up - their focus seems to be entirely on growing their business rather than on improving their beer. Watt and Dickie are great businessmen, but average brewers.
....and laughing all the way to the bank....

A quick plug for thornbridge jaipur.
Sold by some spoons sometimes.
Have recently discovered a london one which seems to have a pipeline to the brewery.
Perfect start to a touring day with a breakfast. Guaranteees a warm orange glow to the morning.
https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/beer/jaipur/
Ignore the tin. Drink it on draught.
Describes it as fruity there admitedly but not in my experience like some of the abominations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom