Why is everyone soo god dam...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
SC&P is no nastier or more negative than any other part of this forum, and I wish people would stop trotting out this lazy nonsense. There is positivity and negativity everywhere, and some of the people who post 'nasty' stuff can also be found in Cafe on a daily basis.
It would be good if that were true...but it just isn't. Clearly depends upon the definition of "nasty" but for me sc&p and commuting, contain the largest number of ego driven, last-wordy (I made that up and like it...its all about me!) inconsiderate, abusive and insensitive folk...or expressions of personalities...on the site.

But that is because both sections attract a greater number of people who are likely to display that behaviour.

I've never seen any evidence of ego in the mechanics section or touring etc...because there is little to get egotistic about on those sections.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Nail on the head @jonny jeez , I couldn't have worded it better.

Was that just someone perpetuating the myth though?
Sure, I just wanted to point out that the "myth" is mostly being spread by the denizens of that forum.

And I hope it's more negative than the rest of the forum. Discussions involving fundamentals of life and society should be more divisive than discussions on which group set to get. There is a good reason the manners rule of no sex, politics or religion in polite discussion. We don't stay polite when discussing them. That's not a bad thing, but it does provide more opportunity for hurt.

I'm not going over there to find out if I am right for the moment, as I don't have the emotional resilience for animated discussion right at the moment.

Update: @jonny jeez informed response came in before I hit the send button. Still going to post this, but he covers it better than me.

Edit: Dammit, he posted twice before I hit the send button!!

Edit 2: and @steve50 summed up JJ posting better than i did, before i posted this

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Commuting is the one section I don't bother with. It has no redeeming features. Even if I commuted I wouldn't bother with it.
Oddly...the two sections of this site that I have...without doubt learnt more valuable, attitude adjusting lessons from are commuting and SC&P.

So both are well worth visiting...and contributing to.

Honest.

(as a note to all the amazing help and lessons I have had from the mechanics section, these are great and helpful skills but not often life changing or attitude altering...so no offense)

winjim

Smash the cistern
You've never read a furious "which chain lube is best?" thread then. ;)

And as to whether penetrating oil is effective or merely a placebo .... just don't go there.
That's often because some folk take requests for evidence as insults when they're really not. Same as with the interminable wheel threads. Asking someone to justify their opinion is a reasonable part of a debate, not a personal attack.

That's my opinion anyway.

sidevalve

Über Member
' I may disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it' [I believe it was Voltaire] AND my right to argue against you + if you don't like a thread move on to another - there really are lots to choose from.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Do you have any evidence to support that opinion?....

i'm really sorry, I couldn't resist.
Bloody typical, you're starting with the insults. Always making it personal aren't you? That's it pal, you're going on ignore*.

*In all seriousness, if you are going to put someone on ignore, just do it. Don't tell them about it, because that's just a childish way of making sure you get the last word.

hedder2212

I've been on here a while now, I've always had nothing but encouragement and support. From when i was starting to ride full time (commuting, shopping etc) to when i came off my bike and broke my leg (tbh if it wasn't for the well wishers on here i probably would have given up cycling then) to very recently where i had lost my job and was a bit upset, if it wasn't for one member of the forum mentioning and pushing self employment i wouldn't have done it.

99.9% of people on here genuinely do care for your safety etc and a lot of people confuse constructive criticism/concern for being nasty. Even when folk on here do say something that does seem a bit aresholeish its usually tongue in cheek humor. But some people just don't mix well with this wonderful forum that is a nuthouse..... ^_^:laugh::whistle:

Top Bottom