Why is it it was only your Grandad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

who came in from his work and got washed in the kitchen sink????? and also using carbolic soap while making that 'blub, blub, blub' noise when rinsing his face!

Then rubbing his hands in swarfega. He was a cabinet maker for god sake!

The noise he made getting washed and the intensity of his scrubbing would have been more suited to someone who'd done a 12 hour shift down a coal mine!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I can recall being gutted that I was too big to have a bath in the kitchen sink aged about 3 1/2 or summat.

with vim on me nuts.

Dave5N

Über Member
User1314 said:
We only used to have a bath once a week on Fridays. It was a "sit in" bath, with a little seat built into it.

But when we went to see my cousins in Wolverhamton (70s) they were literally living in slums. No bath and outside loo. Literally had to have a bath in the sink.

If lucky it was the old tin bath thing filled laboriously with hob boiled water.

You had a sink? You were lucky...

yenrod

dan_bo said:
I can recall being gutted that I was too big to have a bath in the kitchen sink aged about 3 1/2 or summat.

with vim on me nuts.

No wonder you can 'soldier' a cyclo-x race in near zero 'C / rainy conditions - MR Hardbollox ! are we to call you now !!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
My gran reckons her dad swore by "washing" his hands with vaseline and a spoonful of sugar. Possibly in the days before swarfega came to Audenshaw.
He was a fishmonger and builder among other things.

Noodley

I remember my dad coming home from work with his hands, arms and face very dirty with oil and grime, and using swarfega in the kitchen sink.

Still brings back memories when I use it after a bit of fettling.

longers said:
My gran reckons her dad swore by "washing" his hands with vaseline and a spoonful of sugar. Possibly in the days before swarfega came to Audenshaw.

How in the name of Friday did he ever pick up an eel? :biggrin:

peanut

the reason Gramps washed in the kitchen sink was because in his day nobody had bathrooms. :angry:

I can remember as a child we had a bath in the kitchen which was covered over with a board and an outside toilet :biggrin:
Dad and Gramps were builders so they put a bathroom upstairs , the first in our street.

longers said:

Interesting longers; whilst reading, I was thinking back to when I was 'in the trade' (Should I say 'hardcore' builder here?). Always used to come home and tip some olive oil then sugar into my hands. I either cleaned them or cooked them - can't remember...:biggrin:

Top Bottom