Why is there a cat pee smell in my daughters bedroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Years ago we noticed a smell in the bathroom while my parents used the bath. There was no sign of it when I was in the bath!

It turned out that the plastic light fitting was decaying. My parents bathed late at night and needed the light on. I bathed earlier and didn't switch the light on. The smell was from the heat of the light bulb warming the old plastic.

Took us a while to figure that one out.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
So what may have happenned is this - I decorated aver a year ago and had to dry out, repair and PVA one of the window reveals as it had suffered from leaks from a blocked gutter pipe (the water was leaking behind the gutter and into the reveal as it wasn't flowing properly). I cleared the gutter of course before redecorating and everything was perfect. A few months ago the next bedroom along was showing signs of leaking again (same side of the house, same gutter) so I more rigorously fixed the gutter problem!

I wonder if water has gone into the repaired reveal and has caused this smell (a combination of damp with rotting something/chemical reaction etc). Maybe when it all dries out for good it will all go away???

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Years ago we noticed a smell in the bathroom while my parents used the bath. There was no sign of it when I was in the bath!

It turned out that the plastic light fitting was decaying. My parents bathed late at night and needed the light on. I bathed earlier and didn't switch the light on. The smell was from the heat of the light bulb warming the old plastic.

Took us a while to figure that one out.
Scorched Bakelite smells of fish. It used to be used in a lot of electrical fittings and junction boxes.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Scorched Bakelite smells of fish. It used to be used in a lot of electrical fittings and junction boxes.

Yes, a really revolting smell - it does decay in prolonged heat. Ceiling roses, or junction boxes in the ceiling void, might affect the room above if there is any air movement through floorboards.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
On trainers and cycling shoes, the sweat that gets trapped under the insole decays and gives off amines, which are a fishy cat pee smell. Shimano cycling shoes (and others probably) also have a layer of board under the insole, which gets permanently damp and gives off the cat pee smell. That's why you ought to remove the insole after wearing.

The fishy smell also comes from plastic light fittings that are only rated for a 60w bulb but have been fitted with a 100w bulb and are overheating.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On trainers and cycling shoes, the sweat that gets trapped under the insole decays and gives off amines, which are a fishy cat pee smell. Shimano cycling shoes (and others probably) also have a layer of board under the insole, which gets permanently damp and gives off the cat pee smell. That's why you ought to remove the insole after wearing.

The fishy smell also comes from plastic light fittings that are only rated for a 60w bulb but have been fitted with a 100w bulb and are overheating.
They tend to make electrical fittings out of Melamine Formaldehyde these days. It has a very distinctive smell which is actually quite useful if you are trying to detect electrical faults.

Top Bottom