Why kms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I got a half crown for pocket money :laugh:
4 black jacks for a penny.:laugh:

I've noticed a lot of cyclists in Britain talking about distances in kilometres.

Why?

Our roads and cars and stuff is all in miles. I know how far apart places are in miles. So why not use miles on your bike?

Couldn't be because kms give you bigger, more impressive numbers could it? Nah, cyclists ain't that shallow...

But seriously, why?

I agree why km when our cars and road signs are in mph don’t get me wrong I’m not some kind of brexit nutter but we measure in imperial not metric, when I’m in Europe I switch because the road signs are, why would you not pick the default for the country you’re in, doesn’t make sense to me.

also weight myself in stone, lbs and ounces, height in feet and inches because we haven’t changed

classic33

Leg End Member
To 90% of the world's population, the marathon is 42.2km.
It baffles me that we're still stuck with imperial units, when schools have exclusively taught metric for decades. My Mrs insists in using miles, but has no idea how many yards constitute a mile
"The organisers of the first modern Olympic Games, held in Athens in 1896, devised the marathon race over 40km to celebrate the achievements of Ancient Greece.

The distance then was extended to the imperial measurement of 26 miles at the 1908 Olympic Games in London, and increased another 385 yards when the starting line was pulled back so it could be seen by the children in the Royal Nursery at Windsor and still finish in front of Queen Alexandra at the White City Stadium in west London. This distance was standardised at 26 miles 385 yards (42.195km) in 1921."

classic33

Leg End Member
I agree why km when our cars and road signs are in mph don’t get me wrong I’m not some kind of brexit nutter but we measure in imperial not metric, when I’m in Europe I switch because the road signs are, why would you not pick the default for the country you’re in, doesn’t make sense to me.

also weight myself in stone, lbs and ounces, height in feet and inches because we haven’t changed
Do what they did in Ireland, the figures stayed the same on the signs, only the units used were changed.

First driver caught speeding, when they changed units, was just after midnight on the day the new unit came into force.

snorri

Legendary Member
This is not meant to be a 'which is better' type thread. I'm just curious.
For me, it just seems easier to think in miles.
I quite agree, it is easier to think in miles when in the UK, but if you go foreign it can be a struggle doing the conversions in your head when referring to local road signs and maps. Which is why I have two computers on my touring bike, these are quite cheap and save me from a lot of mental arithmetic.
I can't answer for sport cyclists, I don't understand cycle sport:smile:.

Dan77

Because imperial measurements are a really poor way of measuring distance. Decimalisation is so much clearer and easier to break down.

We've pretty much done away with feet and inches in manufacturing in favour of millimetres and the only reasons people persist with miles is because of history and the fact it's still how our speed limits and road signs are shown.

A typical UK map produced by the UK's world-respected national mapping organisation, and used by UK cyclists. Distances measured in kms, elevation in metres...

View attachment 566991

If I understand it correctly, we are supposed to translate the kms and metres back into miles and feet in case we ever see a road sign that we don't need to use, or talk to someone who has a curious emotional bond with an antiquated system of units that never made sense from the time it was introduced...

you do know if that’s your own OSMaps account you can pick metric or imperial as the default 🙂

iandg

Legendary Member
A typical UK map produced by the UK's world-respected national mapping organisation, and used by UK cyclists. Distances measured in kms, elevation in metres...

View attachment 566991

If I understand it correctly, we are supposed to translate the kms and metres back into miles and feet in case we ever see a road sign that we don't need to use, or talk to someone who has a curious emotional bond with an antiquated system of units that never made sense from the time it was introduced...

I think when I started using kms was when I did a mountain skills course and learnt how to use an OS map to navigate. Map scales are metric based and grid squares are 1km - everything was so much easier using metric measurement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom