Why kms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Some interesting arguments and information both ways, but a couple of pedant-trigger points from me:

- the use of “kms”... what is a kilometre-second? Units are not pluralised
- the use of “meter”... this is a device that measures things, like a gas meter or odometer. The unit of distance is the metre.

Another thing too, this is more a personal preference but is based in some logic. How would you pronounce “kilometre”? The tendency is to go with “ki-LOM-itter” but I suggest that this is an Americanised pronunciation that follows their preference for emphasising the second syllable (eg CaRIBBean, oREGano, conTROVersy, HiROSHima). I prefer KILLO-metre, which is how I hear all Europeans say it and aligns with kilogram, kilowatt, kilobyte etc). Plus I’ll always say CAR-i-BE-an, OR-i-GAR-no, CON-tro-VERS-ee and HIR-o-SHE-ma.

As a massive aside
24 Hours in a day
60 minutes in an hour
60 seconds in a minute.
Degrees minutes and seconds on a normal compass.
Do the metric fascists!! Want to change that too?!!
Or to decimal for that matter.

Last edited:
Next the remainers/metric fascists will want us to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.
Mod please don't delete its meant as humour...honestly!!! see i have added exclamation marks.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Miles for (most) time-trials, km for audax events, either or both for touring or day rides. Either again walking or driving.

simongt

Guru
Could always do the reverse and measure in traditional English leagues. As one league is three miles, that wouldn't impress many when you told them you've just cycled fifteen leagues instead of forty five miles - ! :rofl:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I use miles 99% of the time because I ride in the UK 99% of the time.
When I ride abroad I use KMs because all the signs use KMs
Running I use KM purely because it seems to be the preferred unit.5K,10K.
I can cross convert easily enough so either or it doesn't bother me:okay:
Most cycling challenges seem to erring towards KMs now.In fact all the monthly challenges on Strava are in KMs.
*Edit*
I've just noticed the Strava banner in my sig is in KMs....strange as my default units are set to miles:ohmy:
*Edit2*
Fixed.VeloViewer was set to metric:blush:

Last edited:
In my day you could get 8:okay:
Or Fruit Salads.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm no brexit nutter and neither am I clinging to an outdated system for sentimental reasons. The simple fact is that distances in this country are measured and quoted in miles and we are stuck with it for the time being. It's a crazy situation I agree. We should never have gone metric just get on with it and finish the metrification properly IMO.
Since driving times and cycling times are unrelated, there's no reason not to use miles in a car and km on a bike. In either case, the distance to time conversion will be informed by prior experience.
That's madness and pointless.
Has anyone else noticed the signs that say 3 miles to such and such a village.
Exactly, MILES!

OS maps don't seem to quote distances in any particular unit actually and contain many references to milestones and mileposts (MS & MP) while they do give distances at the map edge where a major road leaves stating the nearest large town in km and miles. We should not get confused by the fact that the grid ref system uses squares equating to kilometres and easily divisible into 10ths, 100ths and 1000ths to very accurately pinpoint a place on the map and in reality on the ground. This is not related to distance.

In fact, reading through the whole thread the overwhelming impression I get is that actually, apart from the few international competitive disciplines where km are standard, the reason most cyclists use km is purely due to the 'proper cyclist' BS.

To put it another way. Go into the pub and buy a pint, in fact buy several, and a few days later when you are laughing with your mates about what a great night you all had I bet you don't say 'I was sh!tfaced, I drunk 4.546 litres of Old Granny Codswallop's Mind Bender....."?

Miles are a stupid, outdated measurement, but it is the one we are currently stuck with. I'll be happy when kilometres are officially adopted and will willingly swap over, but for the time being I don't feel the need to try and sound like I am part of 'the club' or instil some kind of mystical awe about my pass time in none cycling acquaintances.

Adam4868

Guru
Always miles and feet and inches.I did a apprenteship in feet and inches and it's stuck with me ! I can't visualize metric ☹️
I like fruit salads. I also remember the old penny chews being so big that you had to whack them on the kerb to break them in half to fit in your mouth! :laugh:
We use to leave them in your pocket at school to go soft... then roll them in a big ball and shove them in your gob ! Healthy lunch

classic33

Leg End Member
As a massive aside
24 Hours in a day
60 minutes in an hour
60 seconds in a minute.
Degrees minutes and seconds on a normal compass.
Do the metric fascists!! Want to change that too?!!
Or to decimal for that matter.
Already been done, metric time.
decimal_time_table.jpg

As for the clocks!
download.png

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
You "found" a 10 shilling note in your pocket? How could you not know you had 10 shillings note somewhere. I cried with joy for a week and day, when I found a 6 penny piece in a road drain. I regularly looked in them to see if any money had been washed down into them. Had to get 4 friends to help lift the drain cover off. Obviously I had to give them a penny each but I still had 2 pence for myself. Enough to buy some chips on a Wednesday as my parents only had enough money to feed me on a Monday and Friday. You must have lived in a 10 bedroom mansion and gone to Eaton.

I was talking about when I was 15+, was working, one way or another, and out drinking with “the mates”. Not unusual to tuck a ten shilling note away, when slightly befuddled, then, find it several days later ;) the joys of youth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom