Why kms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Always miles and feet and inches.I did a apprenteship in feet and inches and it's stuck with me ! I can't visualize metric ☹
We learned both Metric and Imperial and Metric is much simpler for measurements.
I used to work with a bloke who'd mix both.He'd say something like 1metre,2 foot,4 inches and 5 little sticks(mm):laugh:
All Steel we make at work is sold in metric nowadays.We had to have special stuff made for USA orders as they still want it in inches and feet.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
They are both perfectly good ways of measurement and what is best determined by what you grew up with. I can imagine 6 feet but not 2 metres in my head. I can work with both but work in Imperial.

Shreds

Imperial all the way, except fractions. mm are much easier to visualise and comprend than 3/32, 8/11th etc

Drago

Legendary Member
Something that does bother me is people mixing their units. I have even seen cycling magazines doing it e.g. "A hilly 50 mile bike route with 1,750 metres of climbing"...
That might be an age thing. Im in my 50s and can work interchangeably in either because I was taught both in school. I can do rough, but pretty close, conversions, from one to another with barely any thought.

Thats why I don't understand it when people complain imperial measurements are difficult. They're only difficult if youve not been taught them - after all, you'd find speaking Spanish difficult if youd never been taught it and lived with it, so a commentator blaming the system for a lack of their own knowledge and education is a bit daft. I know bugger all about molecular biology, but the failing there is mine and not the subject matter.

All joking asaide, as a practical matter I'm completely happy and comfortable using either and have no preference. Being English by birth and Scottish by the grace of God I would always say imperial, but in reality if I awoke tomorrow to find one or the other had disappeared from the face of the Earth it would cause me little angst.

Something that does bother me is people mixing their units. I have even seen cycling magazines doing it e.g. "A hilly 50 mile bike route with 1,750 metres of climbing"...
I would say elevations in metres are much more available now. In the EU they rule, and a Google map shows them.
And OS maps.

OP
OP
Cerdic

Cerdic

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting!

I use miles because I drive a lot. So I visualise distances in miles - it just seems the natural thing to do having grown up in Britain...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a bit puzzled by all these people who find the distances marked on road signs an indispensable part of cycling. Must make cycling rather awkward because they're kind of rare.
I'm going to take a look on Streetview to see if 2 road signs that I saw on a ride were still in place when the Streetview car went along there. I'll be back to explain later...

PS I got really tired on a long ride and a pair of those 'indispensable road signs' indicated that I was getting further away from my destination as I actually got closer to it... It completely did my head in! I just checked and they have now fixed the mistake. I think they'd probably inadvertently swapped them when they were first erected.

Last edited:
My guess is those that insist on using imperial units for their cycling achievements in the UK still buy bikes measured in centimetres and wheels/tyres measured in millimetres:laugh: They also set their torque values in Newton metres and drink from bottles filled by the millilitre.

UK roads will be updated one day with both measurements, it will be half a step into the future:laugh:

Top Bottom