Why kms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting!

I use miles because I drive a lot. So I visualise distances in miles - it just seems the natural thing to do having grown up in Britain...

Km's for me.....

I'm still European 🇪🇺 :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My guess is those that insist on using imperial units for their cycling achievements in the UK still buy bikes measured in centimetres and wheels/tyres measured in millimetres:laugh: They also set their torque values in Newton metres and drink from bottles filled by the millilitre.

UK roads will be updated one day with both measurements, it will be half a step into the future:laugh:
So what you are saying is that we use the prevailing units, of which miles are currently the unit of distance.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
yet we hang on to a legacy of forgotten days in some small areas
Who is hanging on?

Yet another baseless accusation of hanging on, clinging to, sentimentality for. All I and others like me are suggesting is that we use the official units so that we are all 'singing from the same hymn sheet' and there is a common language, avoiding any misunderstanding.
What should be happening is that the government should stop dithering and make the switch to km, although they have lots of other more pressing issues on their plate at the moment.

Drago

Legendary Member
My guess is those that insist on using imperial units for their cycling achievements in the UK still buy bikes measured in centimetres and wheels/tyres measured in millimetres:laugh: They also set their torque values in Newton metres and drink from bottles filled by the millilitre.

UK roads will be updated one day with both measurements, it will be half a step into the future:laugh:
Not through choice. We were quite happy with frames in inches and 27" wheels, and no bugger asked our opinion before foisting cm's and 700c upon us.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
before foisting cm's and 709c upon us.
FFS I can't keep up with all this new stuff.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Why decide? Why not use both?

I've rigged my bike up to take two identical trip computers when desired .... the one on the left set to Km and the one on the right set to miles.

When following Audax UK route sheet instructions I keep a very close eye on the Kms to make sure I turn in all the right places. I also set that one up when riding in Europe. I'm not blessed with Carol Vorderman's maths skills, so converting on the hoof isn't always a piece of cake, and without the miles display, I would seldom know exactly what speed I am doing in mph. Watching a Km speedo lulls you into thinking you are going faster than you are, and I find I need the speed in mph to keep to my customary pace on a long ride and make it back before dark.

I used to be indecisive ...

classic33

Leg End Member
Why decide? Why not use both?
View attachment 567163
I've rigged my bike up to take two identical trip computers when desired .... the one on the left set to Km and the one on the right set to miles.

When following Audax UK route sheet instructions I keep a very close eye on the Kms to make sure I turn in all the right places. I also set that one up when riding in Europe. I'm not blessed with Carol Vorderman's maths skills, so converting on the hoof isn't always a piece of cake, and without the miles display, I would seldom know exactly what speed I am doing in mph. Watching a Km speedo lulls you into thinking you are going faster than you are, and I find I need the speed in mph to keep to my customary pace on a long ride and make it back before dark.

I used to be indecisive ...
Now you're not too certain.

I've noticed a lot of cyclists in Britain talking about distances in kilometres.

Why?

Our roads and cars and stuff is all in miles. I know how far apart places are in miles. So why not use miles on your bike?

Couldn't be because kms give you bigger, more impressive numbers could it? Nah, cyclists ain't that shallow...

But seriously, why?

To be honest, it's the path of least resistance. I can't visualise miles any more and I use metric measurements at work. And because it sounds more impressive...

When at school our lessons were a battleground between imperial and metric measurements, being a non mathematician I tended to gravitate to metric because I could understand them without having to learn everything by heart: times tables were hard enough.

Curiously though I still felt the need to reach an imperial century and this remains my current best... will have to try for 200k next year.

Venod

Eh up
It has been explained why some cyclist use kms, but are these dedicated solo riders, I don't do many club runs nowadays, but all group rides are listed in MPH pace, and while riding it is an aim to keep to this pace so everybody has their Garmin (other devices are available) set to imperial measurements, so in my experience most cyclists still use miles, are there clubs that operate in KPH? I mean local clubs not organisations such as Audax.

Last edited:
Top Bottom