Why kms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Your observation also agrees with my experience. However, the inch system is effectively a comparative index and not a true indication of the gear. The inch index is reasonably simple — high=>100, low=<40 — but a so-called 100" gear actually propels the bike forward by about 315", not 100". The equivalent metric usage — high=>8m, low=<4m — has the advantage of giving the real advance of the machine for each complete chainwheel rotation and is, I think, equally intuitive. Each to his or her own; but when the question is 'How many pedal strokes to a particular distance?' metric wins every time.

Why do metric bikes have a smaller gear range?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
And yet aircraft fly at altitudes measured in feet.

Though not in Russia or China.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
There is no difference in the gear range, just in the way it is expressed. Similar to the UK practice of expressing vehicle fuel consumption in miles per gallon compared to the continental practice of expressing it in litres per 100 kilometres, the actual consumption is not affected.

Ripple

Veteran
Because I'm foreigner and while I adjusted to am/pm timing very quickly, my brain refuses to use miles instead of kilometres.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
For precise measurement I'll stick to one system, but it could be either metric or imperial. For general use I'm happy to mix it up: "3m of 4x2"; "60 miles with 1000m climbing". I also organise an imperial century audax event.

classic33

Leg End Member
Because I'm foreigner and while I adjusted to am/pm timing very quickly, my brain refuses to use miles instead of kilometres.
Use the 24 hour clock, for example it is 17:56 at the time of posting this.

Use the metric clock posted earlier!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe because that's how they build them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
We kept "imperial" measurement as England refused to meet with continental scientists to agree a universal measurement system. So Brexit has been in the making since 1816!!!

We've always been obstinately different and stuck two fingers up at other nations way of doing things. You'd think the rest of the world, especially the EU, would have come to realise by now a lot of us in the UK have no intention of trying to fit in with what others think of as logical or sensible. Being the awkward squad is nothing new for us.

Top Bottom