Why no more road triples?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why have road bikes with 3 chainrings become so much less common? Everything is a 10 or 11 speed double. Im not a fan of 11 speeds due to the potential for wider chain angles aswell as having a narrower chain to begin with. But even with wider range cassettes, triples offer so much more range. The weight of an extra cog is negligible.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use a triple on the tourer/audax machine because I hate wide ratio gears that destroy the rhythm and force big cadence changes.

U

User32269

I fitted triple to my old Quinns road bike. Gives a great range of gearing with 7 SPD cassette, and always has a bale out cog to hit...been needed on a few occasions!

Sharky

Guru
Just noticing the rise of the 1x single chainwheels, coupled with some mega cassettes 10-42!
Could be the start of the end for compacts as well?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Triple chainsets are still made, so you can always convert your knee-trembler to nice gearing.

I fitted triple to my old Quinns road bike. Gives a great range of gearing with 7 SPD cassette, and always has a bale out cog to hit...been needed on a few occasions!
Ditto. Fitted a triple to my Claud Butler tourer. Only have a 5 speed cassette, but the extra wheel "up front" makes life much more comfortable!!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just in the process of converting my commuter to a triple for super low gearing when it gets icy.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I do have both (non-compact) doubles and a fixed. #horsesforcourses

Caskman

Yeah, been riding my Merida triple road bike for last 8 years and have been toying with getting a shiny new triple road bike but very limited for choices. Feel like I'm being pushed down the 10/11 speed compact route. Got nothing against compact set ups but I'd rather stick with what I'm used to.

Top Bottom