Why no wave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
I was driving down the M1 the other day waving like crazy at all the other drivers out on the road. Not one waved back. Can you believe it? What's up with these people? :whistle:

I suspect that the reason is that the drivers aren't driving along the M1 for enjoyment, they are driving down the M1 purely to get somewhere. Cyclists, on the other hand, tend to cycle because they gain some pleasure from cycling. Thus the waving thing is merely about acknowledging others with a common interest. Similarly, people don't acknowledge strangers when walking down the pavement but if they are walking for pleasure (e.g. rambling/hiking) then it is common to exchange a "good morning" or similar when passing others doing similar.

sunnyjim

I never understand questions like this. Do you wave at every pedestrian you walk past or wave at every car that drives the other way when your driving?

In the more remote parts of the country, yes. Depends on numbers.

I suspect that the reason is that the drivers aren't driving along the M1 for enjoyment, they are driving down the M1 purely to get somewhere. Cyclists, on the other hand, tend to cycle because they gain some pleasure from cycling. Thus the waving thing is merely about acknowledging others with a common interest. Similarly, people don't acknowledge strangers when walking down the pavement but if they are walking for pleasure (e.g. rambling/hiking) then it is common to exchange a "good morning" or similar when passing others doing similar.

Best answer of the lot for me :thumbsup:

I've noticed as well since I have changed from a hybrid to a road bike other cyclists seem to acknowledge me more?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Swimming's the worst. Amount of times I have to wave to fellow swimmers puts me right off my stroke. Breastroke's the worst because you can't modify your arm movements to incorporate a wave like you can in free or fly. Backstroke's right out... you can only wave to fellow backstrokers, otherwise no-one notices.

compo

Veteran
Talking about waving to cars when driving (which we were further back in this thread). Between passing my motorbike test and taking my car test for several years I drove a Reliant three wheeler. Reliant owners nearly always acknowledged each other on the road. Fellowship of the eccentric I guess.

GrasB

Veteran
... because they're too busy doing important things like making sure they see all the moving obstacles which could get into their path, keeping my self of the correct line, avoiding pot holes, etc. to actually notice small body movements

Swimming's the worst. Amount of times I have to wave to fellow swimmers puts me right off my stroke. Breastroke's the worst because you can't modify your arm movements to incorporate a wave like you can in free or fly. Backstroke's right out... you can only wave to fellow backstrokers, otherwise no-one notices.

:laugh:

LinkoVitch

Regular
I try and nod or smile at cyclists on the other side of the road, well those who look like real cyclists rather than "ooh the suns out, lets get that two wheeled thing out the shed, you know, the pedley one", they just get a smile.

I do also tend to say hello if I happen to pass someone or share a red line. Got to say hello to a lady twice the other day as I had taken a more lengthy route at one stage and passed her twice :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
I do also tend to say hello if I happen to pass someone or share a red line. Got to say hello to a lady twice the other day as I had taken a more lengthy route at one stage and passed her twice :biggrin:
Had an interesting time when me & another cyclist were doing loops just the opposite way round the same course. We passed each other 10 or 12 times. The first few laps we were like :huh:... I was faster though ^_^

Recycler

I've noticed as well since I have changed from a hybrid to a road bike other cyclists seem to acknowledge me more?

I used to wave and smile at everyone. I suppose that they all thought I was a demented idiot, after all, I wear Hi viz too.
Rarely got an acknowledgement so I've all but stopped now. I assumed it was because it wasn't the "done" thing on bikes. It never occured to me that, because I ride a hybrid, I wasn't a "proper" rider.!!:whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Talking about waving to cars when driving (which we were further back in this thread). Between passing my motorbike test and taking my car test for several years I drove a Reliant three wheeler. Reliant owners nearly always acknowledged each other on the road. Fellowship of the eccentric I guess.
I'm another who cut his teeth in a Three Pin Plug for the same reason as yourself. Yep, it was a very clubable mode of transport.

Nihal

Veteran
I know i should'nt comment on this but they would rather look at there wheels to prevent them from being distracted;)

stephyt

when I was out and about 2 days ago to blyth and back a couple of Lycra clad cycleist said hi to me so I Said Hi back and here's me not looking a cyclist one bit on me hardtail in normal non cyclist clothing ;)

I guess it comes down to the type of person who waves or says hi or not to u?!? maybe the ppl not waving sayin hi' are not naturally friendly ? where as i bet most ppl are ..

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think some of it is down to where you are. The metropolis stance is much less friendly than out in the country. Look at the tube, you avoid making eye contact let alone a smile, cycle commuters ignore each on bikes to. Don't they say that cities can be the loneliest of places.
Out for a ride or walk in the Pennines and people more often than not acknowledge each other. Yes you read right a pleasant good morning between peds, sometimes even ped to cyclist and vice-versa. Saying hello to someone on a mtb though................

Top Bottom