Why no wave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
when I was out and about 2 days ago to blyth and back a couple of Lycra clad cycleist said hi to me so I Said Hi back and here's me not looking a cyclist one bit on me hardtail in normal non cyclist clothing ;)

I guess it comes down to the type of person who waves or says hi or not to u?!? maybe the ppl not waving sayin hi' are not naturally friendly ? where as i bet most ppl are ..
They waved because you are female. If you were a bloke they'd have ignored you.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
They waved because you are female. If you were a bloke they'd have ignored you.
He, he, also because stephyt is probably young and pretty. I get a few 'morning, hello, way to go hen!, always from the "more mature gents" in casual attire. On occasion, I get greeted from behind by guys that I would never have seen, because they turn the opposite way! Would not start smiling left, right and centre, though, they'll think I'm on the pull!
Exception: once I saw a suited, white hair and beard, quite imposing build guy in his late 50s on a wee folding bike: could not stop looking and laughing, had to say a mumbled hiya :laugh:

400bhp

Guru
This guy made people wave

adolf_hitler.jpg

400bhp

Guru
... because they're too busy doing important things like making sure they see all the moving obstacles which could get into their path, keeping my self of the correct line, avoiding pot holes, etc. to actually notice small body movements

If they are that busy not to notice a wave then I suggest they are not looking properly.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I tried waving at every cyclist one day, I figured there wouldn't be many around.

Every kid on a BMX, every cleaner riding to work on a cheap MTB, old women on heavy folders, shoppers, coppers, the odd roadie.

Soon gave up.

stephyt

He, he, also because stephyt is probably young and pretty. I get a few 'morning, hello, way to go hen!, always from the "more mature gents" in casual attire. On occasion, I get greeted from behind by guys that I would never have seen, because they turn the opposite way! Would not start smiling left, right and centre, though, they'll think I'm on the pull!
Exception: once I saw a suited, white hair and beard, quite imposing build guy in his late 50s on a wee folding bike: could not stop looking and laughing, had to say a mumbled hiya :laugh:
lmao thanx ;) would like to think that the cyclists are thinking " good on u gettin out and about" or they cud b thinkin " not another unfit big un' out on her bike bet she can't got far?!?" lmao I will say hi to anyone if they say hi or wave to me ;)

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I usually wave or nod in the country.

Great to see folk out on two wheels. If they don't wave back....don't care..I still enjoy my ride.

Loved the two folk today, in the open top sports car, who squeezed past me and a parked car in a small rural village today, rather the wait 2 secs, I then commented "hey guys I need a bit more room" only to get 2 fingers from the female passenger.....I love the way we feel we have to reply to any challenge with aggression....didn't spoil my ride though.

Wave away, but don't feel slighted if it isn't returned....they may have other things on their mind....like silly strava racing and be chasing a "segment" or just thinking about next week's shopping.

Pat "5mph"

lmao thanx ;) would like to think that the cyclists are thinking " good on u gettin out and about" or they cud b thinkin " not another unfit big un' out on her bike bet she can't got far?!?" lmao I will say hi to anyone if they say hi or wave to me ;)
Ach, they don't look at you, they look at the bike! :laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
I don't talk to no one or nor wave at no one when I'm riding.

Cyclists who wave at other cyclist unless they know them are novices.

When you start driving or going on the bus do you start waving at fellow drivers or passengers? If you did that on a bus or train you'd be thrown off.

Pat "5mph"

I don't talk to no one or nor wave at no one when I'm riding.

Cyclists who wave at other cyclist unless they know them are novices.

When you start driving or going on the bus do you start waving at fellow drivers or passengers? If you did that on a bus or train you'd be thrown off.

Bus drivers always wave at each other. A lot of taxi drivers do too.

Top Bottom