Why no wave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Great weather we are having in the UK at the moment, bringing out loads of people on their bikes at lunch time.

BUT, how come these fair-weather bikers don't wave, smile or even acknowledge you when you give them a wave? Never had this problem in the cold days of autumn or winter, or the wet spring when the only other people you saw were as mental dedicated as yourself and passed with a friendly smile and wave or nod; but now the sun is out... nothing.

Very odd.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
not odd at all.
Why do you feel that people should wave to someone they don't know?

Some do wave some don't. It's really no big deal.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think you might have answered your own question.

Lots of cyclists in good weather, too many to wave at everyone.

Cold weather, less cyclists, so waving not as tiresome.

green1

Über Member
I never understand questions like this. Do you wave at every pedestrian you walk past or wave at every car that drives the other way when your driving?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I never understand questions like this. Do you wave at every pedestrian you walk past or wave at every car that drives the other way when your driving?
I have to airzound every pedestrian I see, they always cross the road right in front of me.

Today I had an elderly woman decide that just as I was approaching, it was a good time to cross the road even though there was a traffic crossing about 10 yards from her. Secondly, a woman on the prom was just about to push her pram in front of me when I had to airzound her. And lastly, two school children were crossing a 4 way junction (not traffic lighted) when the male saw me and ran but the female just kept walking slowly, therefore I airzounded her and gave her a jump.

I do hate this time of year when it comes to pedestrians. I have to keep pumping up my airzound bottle.

I was driving down the M1 the other day waving like crazy at all the other drivers out on the road. Not one waved back. Can you believe it? What's up with these people? :whistle:

Reactions: gaz

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
how much effort does it take to wave,nod or shout hello

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think as theyre new they dont realise its a "thing". The same happens with runners just the same, if youre out running in the snow or rain, or during winter most will say hi or give a nod of acknowledgement - when it comes to the nice weather all the fair weather people dont.

[quote="LosingFocus, post: 1862425, member: 14936"
BUT, how come these fair-weather bikers don't wave, smile or even acknowledge you when you give them a wave?
Very odd.[/quote]

Why is this even important to you? Do you need some sort of validation that cycling is some sort of special club that only the select few get in? Are you just lonely and looking for friends?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Great weather we are having in the UK at the moment, bringing out loads of people on their bikes at lunch time.

BUT, how come these fair-weather bikers don't wave, smile or even acknowledge you when you give them a wave? Never had this problem in the cold days of autumn or winter, or the wet spring when the only other people you saw were as mental dedicated as yourself and passed with a friendly smile and wave or nod; but now the sun is out... nothing.

Very odd.

They don't wave, smile or nod because: they are holding on tight to the handlebars, gritting their teeth, concentrating on the way ahead. They are muttering to themselves "why me why me why me ... should have taken the bus ... gonna fall gonna fall gonna get a puncture bus is gonna squash me lights are gonna change bike is gonna fall apart under me ...." Also, because you are scary ^_^

Top Bottom