Why no wave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cow Pie

As a motorbike rider we always tend to acknowledge each other with a nod of the head or flick of the hand:hello: . A simple case of recognising someone else enjoying the same joy of riding, experiencing the same problems and the fact that they are safe on the road. If we see one of us in trouble it's a bit of an unwritten rule that you pull over to offer some form of help. Now that the new kids on the block, riding their "bee in a biscuit tin" are becoming more numerous it seems to be getting rarer. :sad:
As a cyclist there seems to be less acknowledgment of each other and less help when one of us needs a bit of help. A shame but with a change in society as a whole I don't think people do look out for each other as much or act as friendly to each other as they used to.
Regardless I'd still rather be on two wheels and will continue to give a nod to other riders... even when I get no response. :biggrin:

compo

Veteran
It must be the sunshine because I have not long come in from a thirty miler and there were loads of riders out of all descriptions and almost all of them said good morning or waved or nodded. As did the joggers, the horse riders, and the dog walkers. As I said it must be the weather.

redcard

Veteran
I don't talk to no one or nor wave at no one when I'm riding.

Cyclists who wave at other cyclist unless they know them are novices.

When you start driving or going on the bus do you start waving at fellow drivers or passengers? If you did that on a bus or train you'd be thrown off.

Cycling is serious business.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I find these certain etiquettes interesting. Yes I often say hello (and get hello'd at) when riding in the country. This would probably be the same if we were both pedestrians in the country. however, once you enter a built-up area then the personalization dissappears. For example, I wouldn't say hello to a fellow motorist if I parked next to them in the car park.

I still think it is polite, albeit old fasioned, to say hello to a fellow cyclst. Just the other day I even said hello to a pedestrain on a country lane.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Swimming's the worst. Amount of times I have to wave to fellow swimmers puts me right off my stroke. Breastroke's the worst because you can't modify your arm movements to incorporate a wave like you can in free or fly. Backstroke's right out... you can only wave to fellow backstrokers, otherwise no-one notices.

Even worse when swimmers wave frantically at you. You think to yourself "no wonder your head keeps going under if you wave at everyone like that".

wait4me

Veteran
I suspect that the reason is that the drivers aren't driving along the M1 for enjoyment, they are driving down the M1 purely to get somewhere. Cyclists, on the other hand, tend to cycle because they gain some pleasure from cycling. Thus the waving thing is merely about acknowledging others with a common interest. Similarly, people don't acknowledge strangers when walking down the pavement but if they are walking for pleasure (e.g. rambling/hiking) then it is common to exchange a "good morning" or similar when passing others doing similar.

That's summed it up perfectly!!!
regards
w4m

GrasB

Veteran
If they are that busy not to notice a wave then I suggest they are not looking properly.
There are far better indicators of a direction change than a hand signal. For me it's one of the last things that I look for when working out what someone is doing. For this reason I have far more important things to do that look for a hand signal.

400bhp

Guru
There are far better indicators of a direction change than a hand signal. For me it's one of the last things that I look for when working out what someone is doing. For this reason I have far more important things to do that look for a hand signal.

Like self important things :whistle:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
One of the things that really appealed to me when I first started cycling was the friendliness of cyclists round here. I like to shout out a greeting or give a nod/wave if I pass another cyclist and if I don't get a response it doesn't bother me - I don't take it personally, maybe I'll get a response next time. Horse riders are another friendly bunch of people, especially if you shout out a friendly warning to them before overtaking.

Top Bottom